1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

famous bicycle quotes...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by dangerousjules, 11 Jun 2008.

1. dangerousjules

dangerousjules New Member

does anybody know of any other great quotes...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. HG Wells

2. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Put me back on my bike..

3. walker

walker New Member

Tom Simpson

4. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

Eyeballs out, Duffers.

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

ride a bicycle. you won't live to regret it

mark twain

6. Hilldodger

Hilldodger Über Member

£7 10s.

Oh, sorry, no that type of quote;)

7. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

Women need men like fish need bicycles.

8. Odyssey

Odyssey New Member

On yer bike! - me mam.

9. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

Isn't there one about there being no more noble invention than a bicycle? Can't remember it...

10. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

I thought that one was "you won't regret it, if you live (survive?)".

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

some journalist paraphrasing a reply to a question...not Tom Simpson.

12. Noodley

Noodley Guest

"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."
    Arthur Conan Doyle

"It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are..."
    Ernest Hemingway

13. Noodley

Noodley Guest

"Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia." H.G. Wells

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond

"The Ventoux is a god of Evil, to which sacrifices must be made. It never forgives weakness and extracts an unfair tribute of suffering." Roland Barthes

"When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle." Elizabeth West

14. ColinJ

ColinJ Slow Hill Climber/Station lift avoider!

"That's enough - I'm burning my bikes when I get home!"

ColinJ, with backache and bonking badly, grovelling up Oxenhope Moor into a nasty headwind at 5kph, towards the end of Spring Into The Dales 2005 :wacko:.

15. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Anything from "The Third Policeman". A work of genius.​

“Atomics is a very intricate theorem and can be worked out with algebra but you would want to take it by degrees because you might spend the whole night proving a bit of it with rulers and cosines and similar other instruments and then at the wind-up not believe what you had proved at all. If that happened you would have to go back over it till you got a place where you could believe your own facts and figures as delineated from Hall and Knight’s Algebra and then go on again from that particular place till you had the whole thing properly believed and not have bits of it half-believed or a doubt in your head hurting you like when you lose the stud of your shirt in bed.”​

“Very true,” I said.​

“Consequently and consequentially,” he continued, “you can safely infer that you are made of atoms yourself and so is your fob pocket and the tail of your shirt and the instrument you use for taking the leavings out of the crook of your hollow tooth. Do you happen to know what takes place when you strike a bar of iron with a good coal hammer or with a blunt instrument?”​

“What?”​

“When the wallop falls, the atoms are bashed away down to the bottom of the bar and compressed and crowded there like eggs under a good clucker. After a while in the course of time they swim around and get back at last to where they were. But if you keep hitting the bar long enough and hard enough they do not get a chance to do this and what happens?”​

“That is a hard question.”​

“Ask a blacksmith for the true answer and he will tell you that the bar will dissipate itself away by degrees if you persevere with the hard wallops. Some of the atoms of the bar will go into the hammer and the other half into the table or the stone or the particular article that is underneath the bottom of the bar.”​

“That is well-known,” I agreed.​

“The gross and net result of it is that people who spent most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles.”​

I let go a gasp of astonishment that made a sound in the air like a bad puncture.​

“And you would be flabbergasted at the number of bicycles that are half-human almost half-man, half-partaking of humanity.”​