famous bicycle quotes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
does anybody know of any other great quotes...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. HG Wells

asterix

Comrade Member
Put me back on my bike..

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Isn't there one about there being no more noble invention than a bicycle? Can't remember it...

Noodley

"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."
Arthur Conan Doyle

"It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are..."
Ernest Hemingway

Noodley

"Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia." H.G. Wells

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond

"The Ventoux is a god of Evil, to which sacrifices must be made. It never forgives weakness and extracts an unfair tribute of suffering." Roland Barthes

"When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle." Elizabeth West

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
"That's enough - I'm burning my bikes when I get home!"

ColinJ, with backache and bonking badly, grovelling up Oxenhope Moor into a nasty headwind at 5kph, towards the end of Spring Into The Dales 2005 :wacko:.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Coincidentally, I have a load of these to use as signatures on my emails - here's the bulk of them, not sure all would qualify as "famous" though.

"I'm lazy. But it's the lazy people who invented the wheel and the bicycle because they didn't like walking or carrying things."
-Lech Walesa

"Just as the ideal of classic Greek culture was the most perfect harmony of mind and body, so a human and a bicycle are the perfect synthesis of body and machine."
- Richard Ballantine

"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day."
~Daniel Behrman

"Since the bicycle makes little demand on material or energy resources, contributes little to pollution, makes a positive contribution to health and causes little death or injury, it can be regarded as the most benevolent of machines."
-Stuart S. Wilson, Oxford University

"Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity."
- Lord Charles Beresford

"The bicycle enables us to escape many other machines: We use it for transportation, sport, recreation, and make it a way of life."
- Jobst Brandt

"Free your feet or your ass will follow."
-Good advice to new clipless pedal users

"Ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike"
-Fausto Coppi (when a reporter asked him what it takes to become such a great champion)

"I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft... As for me, give me a fixed gear!"
-Henri Desgrange, the founder of the Tour de France.

"For city bicycling to catch on we need a revolution in our society's infrastructure. Right now a city rider needs to be a road warrior, and the bike needs to be cheap and ugly so it won't get stolen. That's not a bike friendly culture."
- Gary Fisher, founder and CEO of Fisher Bicycles

"Bicycling is human scale- a living, breathing alternative to the city's domination by motor vehicles. There is magic in blending with traffic, feeling the wind in one's face, the sheer fact of traversing the city under one's own power."
- Charles Komanoff, cycling advocate

"Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."
- Eddy Merckx

"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."
-Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."
- Bill Nye

"In this age of mindless consumerism, of atomized populations living in boxes, working in boxes, and traveling in boxes, almost always alone, with only the electronic voices of their new feudal lords to guide them through life, the bicycle becomes an instrument of gentle revolution."
-Richard Risemberg

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."
~Ann Strong

"The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew--and live through it."
-Doug Bradbury

"Everyday there's something that reminds me why I love this sport."
-Bernard Hinault on Cycling

"There are too many factors you have to take into account that you have no control over...The most important factor you can keep in your own hands is yourself. I always placed the greatest emphasis on that."
-Eddy Merckx

"A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness."
-James E. Starrs

Top Bottom