Famous Brummies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajay

Veteran
A spinoff from BoaB's thread.
Birmingham seems to take stick from those both north and south, I'm sure that this is unjustifed. As the "2nd city" of England, Brum must have given us a whole galaxy of stars, but who is the most famous living Brummie - Jasper Carrott? Sir Ozzy?
Err, is that it?

Rapples

Guru
I was in Brum last week, on the pavement Hollywood stylie

Noddy Holder

Roy Wood

Cum on feel the noise:thumbsup:

hotfuzzrj

Veteran
Oh, I'm so ashamed of living here, I'm not from Brum originally and I lament the day I chose to come to uni here...
BUT...
Sir Adrian Cadbury (met him! very nice gent)
Cat Deeley (from BGT)
The Weasley Twins (Harry Potter, for the unitiated!)
Ocean Colour Scene
Lenny Henry
Hancock
Tolkien
Arthur Conan Doyle lived here during his studies...
Alfred Bird (as in Bird's Custard)
Duran Duran
Poor old Frank Skinner's a Yamyam and we need all the celebs we can get!

(Does Shakespeare count? Stratford's nearby... lol)

machew

Veteran
Some Lunarticks namely
Matthew Boulton, Erasmus Darwin, Thomas Day, Richard Lovell Edgeworth, Samuel Galton, Jr., James Keir, Joseph Priestley, William Small, Jonathan Stokes, James Watt, Josiah Wedgwood, John Whitehurst and William Withering

Matthew Boulton, Erasmus Darwin, Thomas Day, Richard Lovell Edgeworth, Samuel Galton, Jr., James Keir, Joseph Priestley, William Small, Jonathan Stokes, James Watt, Josiah Wedgwood, John Whitehurst and William Withering
Uuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm - and how many of them came from Birmingham? They're mostly guys who went there, in the days it was worth going to!

Apologies to Brummies - New Street station was more than enough to put me off!

OP
OP
Ajay

Ajay

Veteran
Some Lunarticks namely
Is that an early Led Zepplin line up?
A worthy list, but not really living Brummies though.

asterix

Comrade Member
Not by birth but definitely one of Birmingham's hardy sons.
Joseph Chamberlain (8 July 1836 – 2 July 1914) was an influential British politician and statesman. Unlike most major politicians of the time, he was a self-made businessman and had not attended Oxford or Cambridge University.
Born in London, Chamberlain made his career in Birmingham, first as a manufacturer of screws and then as a notable Mayor of the city. ..
220px-Joseph_Chamberlain_in_colour.jpg

.Despite never becoming Prime Minister, he is regarded as one of the most important British politicians of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, as well as a renowned orator and an interesting character who split both main parties. Winston Churchill later wrote of him that he was the man "who made the weather"..

He was father of the somewhat unfairly despised Neville Chamberlain and also his half brother the anti-appeaser, Austen Chamberlain.

ASC1951

Guru
... I'm not from Brum originally ...

Poor old Frank Skinner's a Yamyam
Frank/Chris is from the Black Country, a distinctive cultural and linguistic area. Birmingham is most definitely not in the Black Country. I was a yamyam who went to school in Walsall, where these things matter.

Top Bottom