Fancy being a Postie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I came across this yesterday and was charmed at the notion of letting others dictate the specifics of a bike route.
I also loved the concept of "important, but not urgent".

In summary, a retired schoolteacher started soliciting and delivering handwritten letters to complete strangers. As is the way of these things, there's now a network of self-powered posties, some undertaking only local deliveries, others much, much further afield.

The Guardian
and
ConexxionFrance

The website if you're interested in doing similar

YouTube (You'll need French)

YouTube Part 2 (You'll still need French!)

While this is in the Touring & Adventure forum, some members only deliver locally so it doesn't have to be only for long distance tourists.
I think it's a really interesting and potentially very rewarding experience.

Always Cross

Veteran
This reminds me of a BBC series called the Last Postman The postman found out he was being made redundant because he was being replaced by a machine. So he emptied his last post box and decided to deliver them all over the country on his bike. The series followed his escapeds while he delivered the post. He got found out eventually there was a brief bit of romance that didn’t last long but the woman gave him a letter addressed to a place in France I think to keep him going.

richardfm

Veteran
This reminds me of a BBC series called the Last Postman The postman found out he was being made redundant because he was being replaced by a machine. So he emptied his last post box and decided to deliver them all over the country on his bike. The series followed his escapeds while he delivered the post. He got found out eventually there was a brief bit of romance that didn’t last long but the woman gave him a letter addressed to a place in France I think to keep him going.

The Missing Postman. I don't remember it but it does sound worth watching https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missing_Postman It has a very good cast and is available on DVD from Amazon.

[Edit] It's based on a book by Mark Wallington who also wrote the script for the TV adaptation

I read the article in the Guardian and agreed with @HobbesOnTour it probably would be "interesting and potentially very rewarding" experience.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru

The full tv programme seems to be on Utube.

View: https://youtu.be/HXLDLMQCZLg?feature=shared

Saw it when it was first aired. Will watch it again.

Top Bottom