Fanderson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rummaging around today I found a box of CD's. Now, I was born a rocker and I'll die a rocker, but I do listen to other stuff if I think it's a worthy ditty.

Anyhoo, one of the CD's was a Gerry Anderson themes CD. You may not know, but a chap named Barry Gray penned and arranged most of the theme and incidental music for Anderson, right up until the first series of Space 1999, often using his own 70 piece orchestra. I whacked it in the player and was having a jolly old time listening to the Joe 90 theme.

But my absolute favourite has to be, of course, the Thunderbirds theme. I love it. And the "Zero-X theme", a piece of music accompanying the mechanical ballet of a Mars rocket readying for launch is an amazing piece of music, and predates the similar use of music in 2001 (the Zarathustra theme as the space ship docks with the station) by several years. It captures the sense of drama wonderfully. Here's the scene...

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8PR3QIwXHs&t=130s

Maybe I'm just reliving my yoof, but it was a pleasant 40 minutes or so of humming and foot tapping.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
and predates the similar use of music in 2001 (the Zarathustra theme as the space ship docks with the station) by several years.

The docking scene music was the Blue Danube waltz by Johann Strauss, wasn't the Zarathustra music the opening scenes?

I watched it again just a few days ago.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Have a go at this, It's a good few minutes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Have you ever heard the 'Starfleet Project', Brian May recorded it for his young lad and roped in a few of his mates to help out. He then decided it was too good not to be heard by fans so released it on an album with a couple of other songs that they'd just jammed together over a couple of days in the studio.

View: https://youtu.be/eL4QEsOJG0A

BTW the other guitarist is Eddie Van Halen

Top Bottom