Fao Arch and other knitted animal fans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
There's a notice on one of my local charity shop which says not to leave stuff in bin-bags at the front door, and have had to provide a secure skip type thing round the back... basically people just take stuff that has been left there. ;)

Example, we saw a nice little scooter outside recently which my eldest would have loved, passed by about an hour later (it was pre-opening time) and it had gone - is there nothing sacred/off limits in this world???

Tetedelacourse

I don't see what's so bad about haggling? Ultimately they're using the shop and still giving to charity, just not as much as an old dear thinks they should. Surely haggling for a lower price is better than deciding it's too pricey and walking out?

Tetedelacourse

I don't see what's so bad about haggling? Ultimately they're using the shop and still giving to charity, just not as much as an old dear thinks they should. Surely haggling for a lower price is better than deciding it's too pricey and walking out?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:

But it's a bit mean, to ask for a discount on something that's already cheap and for which all the money is going to charity. When haggling merely eats into some corporation's profits, fair enough.

If the meany doesn't want it, someone else will, and be glad to get it at the price asked.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:

But it's a bit mean, to ask for a discount on something that's already cheap and for which all the money is going to charity. When haggling merely eats into some corporation's profits, fair enough.

If the meany doesn't want it, someone else will, and be glad to get it at the price asked.

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:

It's more mean than not paying full price, but much less mean than not going into the shop at all though, no?

It's for the shop worker to decide if they think they can get full price for it from someone else.

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:

It's more mean than not paying full price, but much less mean than not going into the shop at all though, no?

It's for the shop worker to decide if they think they can get full price for it from someone else.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:

Yes, and I never said otherwise, I simply said (and several people agree) that haggling over a couple of pounds (which is probably as much as you could do in most charity shops) which are going to charity, is a pretty mean thing to do.

Would you haggle over something in a charity shop then? How much would you be wanting to save to make it worth while? You reckon they should be jolly grateful you graced them with your presence and offered, for example, to give £3 instead of £5 for a shirt that cost £35 new?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:

Yes, and I never said otherwise, I simply said (and several people agree) that haggling over a couple of pounds (which is probably as much as you could do in most charity shops) which are going to charity, is a pretty mean thing to do.

Would you haggle over something in a charity shop then? How much would you be wanting to save to make it worth while? You reckon they should be jolly grateful you graced them with your presence and offered, for example, to give £3 instead of £5 for a shirt that cost £35 new?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
As I said earlier I got 8 long sleeved T-shirts for £14. 4 of them still had the original shop price tags in them, for which I paid £2 each, the other 4 were £1.50 each.
I actually felt a tad guilty waiting for my £1 change!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
As I said earlier I got 8 long sleeved T-shirts for £14. 4 of them still had the original shop price tags in them, for which I paid £2 each, the other 4 were £1.50 each.
I actually felt a tad guilty waiting for my £1 change!

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:

I don't use charity shops, so I am the meanest of all. But I reckon that ANY charity should be grateful of ANY donation given to them. Do you disagree?

The original price of the shirt is (no pun intended) immaterial. It didn't cost the charity anything did it? They've MADE £3, not LOST £2! And so they should welcome the £3.

Again I remind you that haggling does not place a duty on the shop worker to accept the offer either. They can hold out for a fiver if they think they can get it.

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:

I don't use charity shops, so I am the meanest of all. But I reckon that ANY charity should be grateful of ANY donation given to them. Do you disagree?

The original price of the shirt is (no pun intended) immaterial. It didn't cost the charity anything did it? They've MADE £3, not LOST £2! And so they should welcome the £3.

Again I remind you that haggling does not place a duty on the shop worker to accept the offer either. They can hold out for a fiver if they think they can get it.

Top Bottom