FAO - Sheffield Cyclists - Parkway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Hiya Guys,

Just want to clear a point up.

Sheffield Parkway.
Sheffield end, Park Square roundabout. There are signs saying no cycling. Rotherham end, two ways to get onto it (1) M1, obvously no cycling (2) Rotherway, signs saying no cycling.

Now what I want to know is - is cycling not allowed on the Parkway?

My opinion is, it's not allowed.

But i keep getting into this discussion......

GrahamG

Guru
I couldn't give a toss about the legality of it - anything that is long straight, has more than one lane and is grade separated (junctions are bridged over/under a la motorway) is basically going to be driven like a motorway. Wouldn't catch me dead on anything like that. It's like the A14 north of Cambridge, there are all these little cycle lane sections to guide cyclists at junctions when everyone knows it'd be suicide to be on a bike on there (and extremely unpleasant!).

bonj2

The parkway isn't a motorway therefore cycling is allowed on it. End of.
I think I've seen the no-cycling sign at the sheffield end, and I'm pretty sure I interpreted it to just mean no cycling on the little slip road that cars take to turn left from exchange place onto the parkway. You should technically therefore go in the second lane on exchange place and go to the roundabout, but I wouldn't bother obeying it if you feel safer going on the slip road, as you'd then be in the second lane of the parkway and would have to pull back in to get in the left lane aswell as it being slightly uphill there, and cars do tend to change lanes on that bit anyway despite the fact there's signs saying 'stay in lane'.

bonj2

gambatte you do know there's TPT running almost parallel with the parkway, going from town to certainly as far as the prince of wales road roundabout?
It goes up from the pavement at the side of the slip road at exchange place, up the side of broad street, onto cricket inn road and the goes up maltravers road just opposite cricket inn tram stop - then when you get to the top of maltravers road it turns into a fairly nice path. It does go past manor park so you sometimes get chavs messing about on minimotos up there but they're normally harmless. Then it comes out at the prince of wales road roundabout, I think it then goes a bit south towards killamarsh/rother valley country park, but might still be able to figure out a route?

If you choose to take that route it's probably going to take you a bit longer but will be more interesting and probably safer. Although if you've got a road bike you might want to put slightly fatter hybrid tyres on it, but the most off road it gets is canal towpath style.

But as regards legality, there's certainly no 'no cycling' signs at the mosborough parkway turn off/prince of wales road/greenland road junction, so a cyclist could come on there and wouldn't see any no cycling signs. Coming out of capita? Airport? There's any number of places a cyclist could join the parkway come to think of it without seeing no cycling signs.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Hi Bonj,

Its just theoretical, ‘is it legal’

Whether its legal or not it’s, as Graham says, driven as a motorway and self preservation would see me going thro Attercliffe instead.. With that road I don’t see it as a point worthwhile making!

My commutes OK and shorter anyway - when I get to Whiston, I go through Cancklow, Tinsley Viaduct (cough !! cough!!) Attercliffe, then over towards the Ski village.

Its just that it’s a discussion I get into regularly and I saw a guy on there this a.m. looking very unsteady and extremely vulnerable.

Might get the MTB out and do some TPT at some point tho’ Although I think the Peaks are calling louder. I’m just about to upset the sensibilities of the MTB masses by fitting bar ends to risers!

Maz

Guru
I think it's OK to cycle down Parkway. I've done it a few times. There is a 'recommended cycle route' avoiding the section from the M1 junction down to Sheff city centre on these maps.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Oh well, tried for a definitive answer.
According to SY Plod, who've just called me back, cyclists should not be on the Parkway.

bianco

I've asked this before, there's a local bye law restricting cycles from the parkway.

IMO its the worst way to Sheffield anyway, I always go through Brinsworth, Tinsley, Attercliffe and I think the parkway would take longer with the first part being almost a continuous hill.

Hope it helps

bonj2

gambatte said:
Oh well, tried for a definitive answer.
According to SY Plod, who've just called me back, cyclists should not be on the Parkway.

Well that's a load of bollocks, 'cos if they tried to do you for it there's no way it'd stand up in court. They probably just mean they don't think it's advisable.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
Well that's a load of bollocks, 'cos if they tried to do you for it there's no way it'd stand up in court. They probably just mean they don't think it's advisable.

No intention of going on it.

I figure the coppers would only advise you to get off at your earliest opportunity. However if they were advising you for the 3rd time, it does have standing in law, according to Biancos post.

Top Bottom