Farcility of the month: Jan 08

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
Enjoyed looking through those! :cry:

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a cycle path in Slough that enabled you to cycle the 'wrong' way down a one way street. It was only a single lane and you were just supposed to cycle on the road as normal if you were going the 'right' way, but that never used to happen. No, all the idiot cyclists used to cycle down the lane in the wrong direction, meaning one or other of you had to swerve out of the lane into the traffic. Used to do my nut in, it did!

Considering that today we are mourning yet another cyclist killed as a result of yet another lack of serious thought, perhaps it's about time we began to attach some consequences to the way we're treated by local authorities.

This picture shows a deliberate guiding of cyclists towards an unmarked obstacle. If I drove a car down a new motorway and found a tree in the fast lane I'd expect whoever left it standing there to be charged with criminal negligence.

Why should any public right of way - even if it is another afterthought cycle path be regarded any different?
If I come across this 'facility' on my bike, and have to go around it - necessitating crossing the boundary lines - aren't I being forced to do the same as driving my car along the kerb?

Just think, planning, surveying, drawing up, approving, painting those white lines, and putting up that sign probably cost £50,000.00

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
wafflycat said:
Now I know we cycling sorts have a bit of a reputation of being smug environmentalist nutters, but this month's farcility really does encourage tree-hugging... xx(

I am never quite sure which is funnier: the farcility itself or the humourous comments that accompany the picture.

There is something unique about the British sense of humour which I miss, together with quiches from Sainsbury's, Walkers crisps, Branston pickle, ..... pass the Kleenex. :laugh:

gavintc

Guru
simonali said:
Enjoyed looking through those! :laugh:

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a cycle path in Slough that enabled you to cycle the 'wrong' way down a one way street. It was only a single lane and you were just supposed to cycle on the road as normal if you were going the 'right' way, but that never used to happen. No, all the idiot cyclists used to cycle down the lane in the wrong direction, meaning one or other of you had to swerve out of the lane into the traffic. Used to do my nut in, it did!

There are a couple in Glasgow. I use one on Argyle St my route to work. It is just east of the Central Station bridge. It seems to work fine. It is just the dozy pedestrians that you to watch for.

bonj2

That looks a bit dangerous, that does. I'm sure the council could be sued, if anyone had an accident - as it could be at-tree-buted to the fact that there were obstacles in the way. If I was cycling around there, I'd branch off onto the road and leaf the cycle path well alone. How long is it going to be before someone twigs that this isn't a good idea?
B):rolleyes::sad::rolleyes::sad:

Nah. I think your all barking up the wrong tree...

snorri

Legendary Member
Last summer I came upon some contractors installing traffic calming by means of chicanes. I was concerned at the hazard this would pose at the pinch points as there was no bypass for cyclists. Move on six months and I wrote to my LA asking where the money they had claimed to spend in order to encourage cycling had actually been spent. It turned out their flagship project had been the aforementioned traffic calming.:thumbsup::sad::ohmy::sad:
Correspondence continues.:ohmy:

Pete

Spot the difference in these two observations:
  • Bus lanes are provided as a courtesy to bus users, at a cost of some inconvenience to motorists.
  • Cycle lanes are provided as a courtesy to motorists, at a cost of some inconvenience to cyclists.

domd1979

Veteran
Or in Birmingham's case put bus lanes only where they don't inconvenience motorists....!! Where they have been alleged to be an inconvenience (Tyburn Road), the nice cabinet member for transport on BCC had them taken out (the allegedly pro-public transport Lib Dems have supported the continued lack of bus lanes). Some of the most recent bus lanes in Birmingham, on Walsall Road have not taken any road space away from the car.

Pete said:
[*]Bus lanes are provided as a courtesy to bus users, at a cost of some inconvenience to motorists.

Top Bottom