Farmer cutting his hedge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds a nice place.
No better (or worse) than any other council estate built in the 50s at least the mortgage is paid off now.
Mind you I'm the only Mamil round here. :cycle:

Drago

Legendary Member
Report it T'highways department at T'council. It's an offence to deposit anything on or over a highway that could endanger a user of that highway, and they'll come and clear it up fairly sharpish, and they'll prosecute repeat offenders. At least ours will.

Just cos he's a farmer and very busy (aren't we all?) And Tesco are only pay him 12p a tonne for his produce is no excuse.

screenman

Legendary Member
They do, if you can, try to gather evidence with a photograph of the offending farm equipment /date/time and precise location and report it to the local authority Street cleaning services, they might recover their costs from the farmer.

I just report it, it always seems to get things done.

Gixxerman

Guru
I had the same issue on a cycle path near me. Stopped using it now and ride on the road.
Farmers also have the responsibility to re-instate ploughed up public footpaths and bridleways (in a maximum of 3 weeks?).
If my experience is anything to go by, a lot in the Linc's wolds are failing in their duties to do so.
One particular farmer has gone even further by putting a chain across a farm entrance with a "Private - no access" sign attached even though farm track is a bridleway for some distance before it cuts across a field. I have reported this to the relevant authorities, but as yet no action has been taken such that I can see. Oh and it goes without saying that the bridleway across the field is also ploughed up / covered in crops and has been over the last 2 years when I have travelled it.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3487140, member: 9609"]As far as I am aware the local authority pays the farmer to cut the hedge (or at least that is what happens round here) if the farmer is now going to be compelled to sweep and polish the road to appease a few pernickety cyclists with unsuitable tyres, then the farmer is going to double his rate, and that is going to come straight out of the rate payers pocket.

as long as the hedges are cut before the birds start to nest, then that is all that realy matters[/QUOTE]

Err!, the farmers maybe paid to cut the hedge but part of the contract says clean up afterwards. As for unsuitable tyres, what do you suggest solids. Do you have any idea how sharp and tough Hawthorne is?

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3487285, member: 9609"]Must be an English problem, Northumberland is bad for public paths disappearing under the plough, I even emailed northumberland CC before xmas about one (never got a reply) this side of the fence I have never known it happen.

I think farmers round here also make a reasonably good job of cleaning up after hedge cutting, there will always be a time delay and its never going to be perfect, its not ideal but we all have our lives to lead[/QUOTE]

I agree with your last line, but if somebody is paid to do a job then it should be done and finished.

Did you phone the council to see if they got your email? Not enough people reporting things is one of the problems.

screenman

Legendary Member
An elitist type sport for the middle class ?^_^

Just like cycling then, well sportives anyway.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3487140, member: 9609"]As far as I am aware the local authority pays the farmer to cut the hedge (or at least that is what happens round here) if the farmer is now going to be compelled to sweep and polish the road to appease a few pernickety cyclists with unsuitable tyres, then the farmer is going to double his rate, and that is going to come straight out of the rate payers pocket.

as long as the hedges are cut before the birds start to nest, then that is all that realy matters[/QUOTE]

I checked with South Gloucestershire council, they definitely do not pay the offending party to clean up their mess.

young Ed

Veteran
Don't listen too much to those moaning townies @young Ed :thumbsup:
nah, bugger them! i shall keep on making a mess and it's their fault if they venture into the country driving anything other than a tractor!
Report it T'highways department at T'council. It's an offence to deposit anything on or over a highway that could endanger a user of that highway, and they'll come and clear it up fairly sharpish, and they'll prosecute repeat offenders. At least ours will.

Just cos he's a farmer and very busy (aren't we all?) And Tesco are only pay him 12p a tonne for his produce is no excuse.
here in kent everyone dumps everything dumps on the road and no one gets prosecuted

and yes we are busy and skint, working 12 hour+ days at a loss :sad:
Cheers Ed

screenman

Legendary Member
I checked with South Gloucestershire council, they definitely do not pay the offending party to clean up their mess.

Did you speak to the right person? highways are happy for us to point out mud and cuttings on the road, they also say clearing up is part of the job of cutting. Maybe different councils I suppose. I have seen car tyres with Hawthorne all the way through on numerous occasions.

screenman

Legendary Member
nah, bugger them! i shall keep on making a mess and it's their fault if they venture into the country driving anything other than a tractor!

here in kent everyone dumps everything dumps on the road and no one gets prosecuted

and yes we are busy and skint, working 12 hour+ days at a loss :sad:
Cheers Ed

Ed I have a lot of friends who are farmers big and small, yes they work hard, most self employed people do, but none of them complain about the wages. A good few of our social night out are with the shire horse society, they are big pets to keep.

Top Bottom