Faro to Malaga - Coastal Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I've got a significant birthday next year and want to do some sort of tour around mid March 2023. Living in N Ireland I'm fairly limited when it comes to direct flights but I've been thinking of flying into Faro Portugal and riding along the coast to Malaga in Spain and flying home from there. I spent a week or so in Gibraltar about 20 years ago and would love to go back and see some old(er) faces who still live there - that would be my half way-ish point. Has anyone ridden this route or even parts of it? I have cycled in the Algarve before and found it ok, especially away from the touristy areas. I would more than likely be doing this on my own on either a hybrid or fat bike (if significant stretches are off road/beach) - each capable of leisurely 50-70 mile days from previous experience. I'm not worried about the practicalities of bikes, transport, accommodation; more so looking advice and thoughts on the route, safety, weather and general feeling of riding through southern Spain

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There are a few big rivers / estuaries to cross or skirt round so your route will be dictated by ferries / accessible brides to some extent.
i.e,. The bridge over the border river is a motorway, so you'll need a ferry over, getting around the Donana wetlands national park will take you pretty much up to Seville

more so looking advice and thoughts on the route, safety, weather and general feeling of riding through southern Spain

If I put Faro to Malaga into CycleTravel it gives a pretty much inland route and there's good reason for that, I reckon.
First off there's the National/Natural Park of Doñana to cross and that's pretty much flat wetlands with limited routes. In March it could be very exposed, windy & cold. I dipped my toes in it a bit in late April (and again in September) and the winds were pretty strong.

I did do a lot of the coast from west of Cadiz to the edge of Algeciras, turning up into the mountains before Gibraltar - it was already getting very busy, traffic wise at that stage.
Again, this was late April, early May and wind was a big factor. In March it could be cold too. It meant there were very few people out and about and not a lot of services.
With a bit of research there could be very interesting off road options along there but I did encounter a few closed gates & private property signs so research is important. And if wet, some of these areas can get very muddy and sticky.

Getting in and out of Gibraltar on a bike may be a challenge.

Just FYI, Tarifa is famous for its wind and is huge for wind surfing and the like. There's quite a few websites that will give historical weather info.

The EV8 runs (in various states of completion) from well east of Gibraltar to Malaga but it doesn't look particularly attractive (street view on Cycle. Travel).
Busy roads and strong winds don't make for my comfort. No doubt there are better, if longer and higher options a little inland.

As regards road safety I think you have very little to worry about. Spanish drivers are excellent (backed up by tough laws) and infrastructure is excellent, if erratic.

I love cycling by the sea but to be honest, I far preferred my time in the mountains. At that time of the year (March) it will be empty and bleak (with the possible exception of Easter if it falls when you're there). Mind you, the mountains will be tough too.

I've been wandering around Spain for a while now and I think it's one of the great places for a bike adventure. All kinds of roads from empty main roads to rocky, gravelly agricultural tracks, an amazingly diverse landscape and great, great food.

I think if you could delay it to April or May it might offer more comfortable conditions without all the busy summer traffic.

As always, CrazyGuyOnABike should have quite a few journals with more detailed info

Good luck!

Not enough of this.....
R0010486.jpg

Empty!
R0010408.jpg

Attachments

• R0010408.jpg
    R0010408.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2
  • R0010486.jpg
    R0010486.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 3