Farsports Xiamen 38 mm 1070g tubulars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Look very nice. Like Robert i am looking for a lightweight set for hill climbs and would consider racing them also if they proved to be quite stiff.
As you will no doubt know, wheel flex whilst sprinting or climbing fast is not a desirable quality.

I have the Planet X carbon 50 tubs and they are a fantastic wheelset but my one complaint would be that they aren't the stiffest around. Noticeable under out of saddle efforts. They also weigh in at 1400 grams approx which isn't heavy but it's not super light either.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I tend to agree. Neither my 50mm Gigantex nor these are in the least flexible. Quite the opposite.

pedro - if you can flex the PX 50s while sprinting, then you are either imagining it, or something else is going on with them...
Plenty of reviews/reports out there with similar claims. IMO, they are not crazy felxy but they are no where near as rigid as some super stiff rims. It's not too surprising considering they have 20 standard spokes on front. Not Sapim's or anything extra strong either.

I see a couple of comments on triathlon forums, which I tend to disregard, tbh.
I researched them plenty before buying and it is a common complaint. It would be neither here nor there if that was not also my opinion. By no means an expert but i know what i like. In fact i still like them, lots.

Anyway, back to business as usual.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
@Pedrosanchezo @jowwy @Rob3rt @Dusty Bin @400bhp @Howard @Crackle@Hacienda71@dan_bo @T.M.H.N.E.T

Two races down, all good so far, no issues. The judder has all but disappeared (I can induce it on tarmac, if I really try, but it never showed up during the race). Rode a one bike race, so the wheels have notched up another 20 miles, very happy with their performance, came 2nd. Still true and the hubs are coping with the water and the mud so far. National Trophy at the Bowl in MK next week, although everyone says that's a mud tyre course, so the wheels may get a rest.

This could become a very boring review soon. Man buys wheels, has no problems with them, end of story :laugh:

Interestingly enough, I was reading about Klaas Vantournout's Ridley the other day, and according to this, it weighs in at 7.25 kg. Mine weighs in at 7.10 :becool:

My CX bike is more like 10kg's. I try to stay positive and tell myself it is good training. :laugh:

That's a lot. Do you race it though?
Yeh, it's a cannondale caadx with 105. Several wheelsets but use a set of shimano rs30's for cx racing. I have only just got into cx this year. Lots of fun. The Scottish national series is a baptism of fire. As you say, most race light bikes with tubs. My current set up is good enough until i decide if i get the bug or not. So much money this competitive cycling malarky!! :laugh:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Yeh, it's a cannondale caadx with 105. Several wheelsets but use a set of shimano rs30's for cx racing. I have only just got into cx this year. Lots of fun. The Scottish national series is a baptism of fire. As you say, most race light bikes with tubs. My current set up is good enough until i decide if i get the bug or not. So much money this competitive cycling malarky!! :laugh:

You should be able to get a caadx to around 8 - 8.5, biggest savings likely to come from saddle, chainset and wheels. My top tip for biggest bang for buck racing with clinchers is to run latex tubes though. You can run lower pressures for improved grip, get a more supple ride and reduce likelihood of punctures at the same time. It's like a halfway house to running tubs.

Yeah racing bikes ain't cheap.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Just a quick update to say the wheels still performing as expected. Notched up two more races since the last update, National Trophy in Milton Keynes, and the Regionals at Ipswich. They have still not experienced true cross conditions, so the final judgement will be withheld till then, but they are getting plenty of abuse and holding up.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Broome Heath last Sunday was wet and muddy with several axle deep sand traps on the course. True Grit in more ways than one! Long drive there and back meant the bike and by extension wheels only got a cursory hosedown in the dark upon return, before being unceremoniously dumped in the shed. I have not had a chance to check on them since. If they are still turning next weekend, I propose to declare the test complete and the wheels frankly superb, not just for the money but by any standard.

Very pleased with their performance. Looking at the weather, the rest of the season will probably be more about mud tubs, so these may not get much more action this season.

Top Bottom