Fascists!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Down to driver discretion. So if there's a driver change, and the bike is seen/mentioned, you can find yourself ending your journey at the next stop.

That's on CIE/Bus Éireann, private operators have their own rules.

What about carrying a bike bag?
I took a storage box of tools on the bus a few years back, to do some work for a woman who
couldn’t afford it, on the way back, driver change, saw my box as I waited to get on the bus,
caused a serious shoot storm, lucky for me I went into the office and met a guy I knew who
trained the drivers, other than this, I would have had a costly trip home again.

Of course, if you had a proper bike you could ride the journey home faster than the bus would get you there.
Know what you mean, when I lived in London I wasn’t long figuring I
could even walk faster than the bus, so I did, different in the country though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Of course he isn't, unlike the real fascists whose defence was "I was just following orders".
Yes he is complying with the company guidelines. Thats obvious.. Or shall we have bus drivers making up their own rules as they go along.
Of course he isn't, unlike the real fascists whose defence was "I was just following orders".
I'm not sure what you are getting at with that sentence. But I think you have made a very poor analogy, comparing a bus driver to facists.
His companies regulations seem to be unambiguous. Unlucky that it hinders a cyclist. God forbid.

u_i

Über Member
When riding by the police headquarters in Bologna Italy, I encountered an unexpected one-way traffic block due to some construction with a detour requiring me to ride around a block. Of course I was not going to take the lengthy detour and I rode against the traffic right in front of a police unit parked there to monitor traffic. The fascist police stopped me and complained about me going against the traffic. I explained that I only needed to go a short distance and would never ever do it again. After some grumbling they allowed me to continue against the traffic - I still saved the time ;). The police were violating the sanctity of the international rule that bicycle riders can do whatever the heck they want!

On the other hand, in the UK, specifically Oxford, I saw riders getting off their bikes and walking them along a stretch of one-way opposite-direction street. There were several of them, so it had to be some common ailment. Still others abode the rule of doing whatever they wanted and calmly rode against the traffic. What the heck is going on in the UK??

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When riding by the police headquarters in Bologna Italy, I encountered an unexpected one-way traffic block due to some construction with a detour requiring me to ride around a block. Of course I was not going to take the lengthy detour and I rode against the traffic right in front of a police unit parked there to monitor traffic. The fascist police stopped me and complained about me going against the traffic. I explained that I only needed to go a short distance and would never ever do it again. After some grumbling they allowed me to continue against the traffic - I still saved the time ;). The police were violating the sanctity of the international rule that bicycle riders can do whatever the heck they want!

On the other hand, in the UK, specifically Oxford, I saw riders getting off their bikes and walking them along a stretch of one-way opposite-direction street. There were several of them, so it had to be some common ailment. Still others abode the rule of doing whatever they wanted and calmly rode against the traffic. What the heck is going on in the UK??
Just shows that a bit of common sense goes a long way, that's all it takes.
Can't explain that Oxford thing. Must be something in the water there.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I had a cheap single speed supermarket .on a bus I noticed a woman with a long cream coat brush against it. Difficult to see if she gained an oily mark without drawing attention to the possibility .
I got off at the next stop avoiding any potential unpleasantness .

The Brompton chain in the middle design is so much better.I still carry a cloth bag for the Brommie but when I couldn't be arsed or didn't have time none of the drivers have said anything.

I am always very polite to drivers partly out of courtesy a d partly because the phrase "at the drivers discretion" is included in their bike policy.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Several years back, I was travelling to Paddington from Finchley. I cycled down to the bus station at 05.00 on the monday morning. Got onto the 82 bus behind a passenger with a large suitcase, bigger than my folded (Brompton) bike.
The Driver, a fearsome female after I had swiped my Oyster card said to me," you can F**k off, you're not getting on with that". As there were only the two of us on the bus at this time of the morning I told her that folding bikes were allowed under the conditions of carriage act. She switched off the bus and told me she wasn't moving. I told her I wasn't getting off, so a stand off ensued. She threatened me with the police to which I told her to do her worst. After 25 minutes of the impass her control wanted to know why she wasn't on the move, and then after she told them she was instructed to proceed.
A letter to the garage manager, and TFL the following day got the response I required.

Leaway2

Lycrist
When I was in San Fransisco, the buses had bike racks. I was based at the airport and could put my bike on the bus and travel anywhere for $1.10.

Top Bottom