Fast Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

I don't know if this is the right suection; but here it goes.

I'm after a new bike to commute to work on. It's a fairly long trip at 25 miles each way over hilly terrain. I will also probably use the bike for wet weather club runs and sportives.

Full length mud-guards are a must and perhaps even a rear pannier rack. The bikes got to be quick so that i'm not the last one to the cafe every Sunday morning.

Now the tricky bit. I've got a budget of £400, £450 absolute tops.

Any suggestions?

Ridgeback Horizon; list £499 but some 2006 are still available and 2008 are just out so 2007 will be remaindered soon.

prod_2234.jpg

Ribble ?

FRAME:Ribble Audax/Winter 7005 Frame (Horiz Top Tube)
56cm blue BASIC BIKE PRICE £ 525.00 change this optionFORK:Alpina Carbon Forks Mudguard Eyes (Alloy Steerer)
FORK UPGRADE PRICE £ -20.00 change this optionGROUPSET:Shimano Sora 8spd Triple Groupset without hubs
one colour GROUPSET UPGRADE PRICE £ -39.95 Chainset: Shimano Sora 3304 Octalink Triple 8 Spd Chainset 175 30/42/52Cassette: Shimano 8 Spd HG50 (Sora) Cassette 13-26change this optionWHEELS:Shimano Pair Wheels R500 (Tiagra) Clincher
8/9/10 Shim black WHEELS UPGRADE PRICE £ -49.05 change this optionHANDLEBAR:ITM Road Racing 300 SO Handlebars (31.8)
manager's choice change this optionHANDLEBAR STEM:ITM Forged Lite SO Handlebar Stem (31.8)
manager's choice change this optionSADDLE:Selle Italia XO (Alloy) Transam Saddle
one colour change this optionSEAT PILLAR:CSN Alloy Seatpillar
27.2mm - 350mm black change this optionTYRES:Vittoria Zaffiro Rigid Tyre
700 x 23mm black/black change this optionHANDLEBAR TAPE:ITM Cork Embossed Handlebar Tape
black change this optionBikeBuilder Total:inc VAT:£416.00exc VAT:£354.03

Noodley

DLB said:
have you considered edinburgh company's continental? i think it's £300 - £400. i have the 2006 model and like it alot.

And their (usually very very good discounts) sale starts on 3rd January.

stephec

Legendary Member
Out of interest, which club are you in Redbike?

gavintc

Guru
I love my winter bike/audax Ribble - It is about 4 yrs old, takes full guards and just works well - comfortable, fits me well and successful. On the downside, it is not a 'sexy' looking bike and I wish I had a double chainset rather than a triple.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

I've ordered the Ribble (Sora Triple) and the Madison Summit rear pannier rack.

This is the first triple i've had, other than the MTB that is.

Thanks for all your help.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Bike was £385, rack was £20, delivery was £20 (I think).
In total the bill came to about £425;
(Paid about £385 once I had used my discount.)

I was very tempted to use the bike builder as I didn't really want oversized bars (my lights wont fit!), a double with a 25/26 cassette and a better set of tyres.

In the end I opted for a list model because they were slightly cheaper and had handmade wheels (not available through the builder). I can always change the tyres and I'm sure I can live with a triple. Not too sure what i'm going to do about the lights yet though.

Top Bottom