Fast Cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
For the past eighteen months I have been working on a story for National Geographic on cheetahs - one of those long term projects that i lived with constantly, and which took me all over Africa and the Middle East and to Cincinnati, of all places, where I took part in a really cool photo shoot to capture what are the finest images ever taken of a cheetah running at full speed. This month, at long last, the story is out - to my joy and relief.

As the proud creator of this story I have written a post on the making of it, and the story behind the elaborate photo shoot in Cincinnati (arguably the costliest, most elaborate photo shoot in the magazine's history) and provided links to the story itself and video footage of the running chetahs on the National Geographic website.

You can see my On Assignment post here:

http://my-bicycle-and-i.co.uk/2012/fast-cats/

Great stuff (as usual)! Well done! :thumbsup:

Brains

Legendary Member
having been a subscriber of the Nat Geog since the age of 7 (I now have every issue since 1955) I think the multi leaf gate fold of the running cheetah was a first, very impressive

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
having been a subscriber of the Nat Geog since the age of 7 (I now have every issue since 1955) I think the multi leaf gate fold of the running cheetah was a first, very impressive
Funny, I got my first subscription when I was 7 too, although that was 1965. And right from that moment i knew that one day I wanted to write for National Geographic - and by golly the wish came true. I have been contributing to that magazine now for 16 years.

I think you may be right about the gate fold. I've not sen one before. I am glad you like it.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
I was 7 in 1967, but bought back issues with pocket money from Scout Jumble sales and the like in the 1970's
Wow. You were really keen.

They had some really cool issues going back into the 1950s etc. a few years ago I contributed to coffee table book on the history of Nat Geo photography in which I researched the archives and read all the articles about my chapter ( the coverage of Australia and Oceania) it was really interesting - and a bit cringe-making, some of the tone of the coverage back in the 10s, 20s, and 30s!

Top Bottom