Fast road MTB tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok it would seem in the mean time I need to get my MTB shod with something fast rolling now for my commute to work. What is a fast tyre for road use, IRC having fatboys on an old MTB years ago which were fast as!

If you want something fast, durable and comfortable then Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are great IMHO. I use them on my commuter bike. Very nice ride and only one pucture in 6000 miles! Not cheap though.

Might be best seeking opinions in the commuting forum?

Bodhbh

Guru
+1 for the Supremes, I stick them on my tourer when not doing any off-road stuff. The Schwalbe Kojaks are even faster, but I think puncture easier, which might be a big deal commuting. Not sure they still make them, but a quick Google sez plenty of places still have them in stock.

Cubist

Still wavin'
city jets from all terrain cycles FTW

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok I have managed to aquire a pair of city jets for free ( forgot I had bought some before and given a loan of to someone else ) :rolleyes:

I just put some Continental Sport Contacts on my MTB .. very quiet and fast rolling

100_0791.jpg

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Have to say after getting used to the gears on the road ( I normally ride fixed ) I am actually enjoying the commute, in fact I think for winter I shall use the MTB from now on!

Racing ralphs on mine ... did 39 miles last night after work, all on tarmac, averaging 13.1mph.
Two nights previous i did the same route on my coyote road bike (with conti gatorskins at 120psi), averaging 13.6mph.

Nuff said!!

Hardrock93

Guru

On the strength of the above recommendations I ordered a pair of City Jets from All Terrain Cycles for £20 delivered. I was congratulating myself on having scored a bargain but then had to buy narrower tubes and managed to tear one at the valve. I then discovered that my Crivit track pump, despite frantic pumping, wouldn't inflate the things above 65psi:sad:. Looks like Topeak will reap the benefit of me buying cheap and twice.
So, I took the City Jet shod bike out on a nice little urban/rural circuit today. At first I wondered what all the fuss was about, as the pedalling didn't seem much easier, then I realised I was in the big ring up front! Well impressed. Much easier/faster on the road and they acquitted themselves well even on some gentle off road bits.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom