Faster, but why!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
I cant understand it. At the weekend I changed my front tyre as it was as worn as I dared let it get. So now, the only difference is that I have a new front tyre, with more grip than the last one.

How does that make me faster!? Cycling home, even despite the headwind, I made much better time than I usually do!

I would expect, the more grip, the more friction therefore more resistance :shy:

Olly

Do you think 'cos you have a shiney new tyre you're having more fun and putting more effort in?:shy:
I have new tyres and find myself throwing myself round corners with glee !!!!

On a more practal note, you may have pumped up your tyre more!?!?
That may do it too:biggrin:

montage

God Almighty
as a tyre wears out, more of the tyre is in contact with the ground, therefore the more rolling resistance. Also the more friction the better I reckon....as there is less "slipping" of the type which would make some of the circular motion equate to a waste....not sure if my latter point here is correct but certainly food for thought

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
Maybe it is just me having a more enjoyable ride ;)

The new tyre has a rough edge to it, so almost "purrs" along the road :smile:

Olly

Bongman said:
Maybe it is just me having a more enjoyable ride ;)

The new tyre has a rough edge to it, so almost "purrs" along the road :smile:

Oh yus!!!!
The glee factor!
Do you lean into corners more??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't go throwing the bike round corners with new tyres - scrub off the manufacturing chemicals first..... I know my Mich Pro Race's were terribly squirmy at first, especially in the damp.

Tynan

Veteran
yes indeed, a new rear Blizzard was alarming for the first dozen miles, fine thereafter

Olly

I am veery carefull :biggrin:

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
I'll have to try cornering tomorrow lads. I was too amazed at the speeds! :biggrin:

(No bike computer though, so its all perception)

jimboalee

fossyant said:
Don't go throwing the bike round corners with new tyres - scrub off the manufacturing chemicals first..... I know my Mich Pro Race's were terribly squirmy at first, especially in the damp.

Another use for sandpaper.

NickM

Veteran
montage said:
as a tyre wears out, more of the tyre is in contact with the ground...
Not at any given inflation pressure it isn't.

For example: combined weight of bike and rider 150lb
tyre pressure 100psi
size of contact patch: 0.75 square inches, regardless of tyre shape (assuming weight evenly distributed between two tyres)

Top Bottom