Faster in the wet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

It seems quicker for me but it isnt. (speedo aside, not speedos mind) I put it down to the cues I use to perceive my speed; wet is noisier, have to focus on the road nearer to me than in dry cos of puddles masking potholes, general reduction in visibility, perspiration on clothes (eugh) and a slowing of other road traffic.

Seems faster, but isnt.

I would question less rolling resistance - surely there's more, on account of the tyre having to displace water, even minimal amounts?

domd1979

Veteran
Adding water into the equation reduces friction between tyre and the road, so it should require less effort to maintain a given speed.

Tetedelacourse said:
I would question less rolling resistance - surely there's more, on account of the tyre having to displace water, even minimal amounts?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I tend to be more cautious in the wet as my brakes are less reliable (especially down hill), so I am slower. I don't reduces rolling resistance is changed that significantly... it just seems faster when your brakes fail...

It does reduce rolling resistance. FACT. Water is a lubricant.

I defo go faster in the rain, until it comes to corners, so I lose any time I may gain.

My 12k dash through London takes 28mins average in the dry, and 30mins in the wet, because I slow down for corners that I would otherwise blast.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
It does reduce rolling resistance. FACT. Water is a lubricant.

Since when........ as it takes a bike to do something like 200 mph to aquaplane... i.e. no difference in resistance. Water will also add to wheel weight....just pure speculation....we'd need a lab...

Have you thought about air conditions - i.e. heavier more dense air that the lungs can get to grips with - nothing to do with water on the road... rubbish !

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Well, are you?

It certainly seemed so this morning. It wasn't raining, just wet on the ground. But everything seemed smoother, and according to the speedo I was going a fair bit faster than usual.

I am definitely faster when the roads are damp. At first I thought that it was my imagination but my average speed is definitely up by a couple of mph when the roads are damp.

I've tried to figure out why and the best that I can come up with is a reduction in rolling resistance due to the water acting as a lubricant between the road and the tyre surface.

vernon said:
I am definitely faster when the roads are damp. At first I thought that it was my imagination but my average speed is definitely up by a couple of mph when the roads are damp.

I've tried to figure out why and the best that I can come up with is a reduction in rolling resistance due to the water acting as a lubricant between the road and the tyre surface.

Could it be you hunker down more in the rain and are therefore more aerodynamic?

atbman

Veteran
Commonly known in the time trial community as a "float" day. There does seem to be a correlation between a damp day/road, either just after rain or with very light rain and personal bests.

Have heard various theories, including the one about the road being less "sticky" and/or that the air pressure is slighlt lower and thus reduces wind resistance.

Most of my (long ago) pbs were set in such conditions.

gbb

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Since when........ as it takes a bike to do something like 200 mph to aquaplane... i.e. no difference in resistance. Water will also add to wheel weight....just pure speculation....we'd need a lab...

Have you thought about air conditions - i.e. heavier more dense air that the lungs can get to grips with - nothing to do with water on the road... rubbish !

Bugger fossy, you beat me to it.
Cars drive better in the wet, moist air is denser and works better in an engine. Thats why you could get a 'water injection' system for cars years ago, to up the performance.
They call them intercoolers now.

I assume the same applies to our lungs..denser air...

Not saying it does make any tangible difference...but the theories there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As atbman said - best conditions for a short TT - like a ten, is just after a thunderstorm - still winds, dense air and a good temp - not cold, not hot...

Wet roads will make you ease off on corners, but I've never been faster in the wet...my fastest days TT'ing have been in days when it's overcast and there is a slight wind, but constant - i.e. you can judge the effort....

You might feel faster, but unless it is in 'lab like' conditions like riding a TT then it's very subjective. Test this theory riding lots of ten mile TT's then you will know..........

I'm slower commuting in the rain, 'cos I wear glasses so can't see too well, and also because most drivers can't see you.... I just ease off a little, but on dry days I push it !!

If it's because the water is a lubricant - then surely less traction would mean that you can't get as much power from the rear wheel so you'd be slower.

So maybe it is the air. Wasn't it Betjeman whio wrote about the time at evening when cars run sweetly - the same time when the air seems clearer?

Wolf04

My gut feeling is that it's reduced rolling resistance . The effect is variable even on the same stretch of road. There's a paticular downhill section on my route where I notice it most and I'm usually coasting there. For what it's worth it seems more apparent in the morning.

domd1979

Veteran
Only assuming you can deliver sufficient power to the pedals to wheel spin!!

Stig-OT-Dump said:
If it's because the water is a lubricant - then surely less traction would mean that you can't get as much power from the rear wheel so you'd be slower.

Top Bottom