Faster with clipless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I've just fitted clipless pedals (Shimano M520, lovely looking things with flats on one side) to my Tricross and taken it for my short route. It's about 10 miles, 60% off road on the river path and my best time before today was about 43 minutes.

Even though I'd already done a few miles today, and the weather isn't exactly ideal for riding, this evening's run was 40'34" - that's 2.5 minutes faster than my previous best. Just from changing to clipless.

I also recovered much faster and I've had no aching muscles, sometimes my calves feel tight after a fast ride.

Wow.

Watch out for tales of the clipless moments. :laugh:

Ben1982

Fitted mine today too (M505 though). I did about 6.5 miles in total (went to my parents and then back again a few hours later). All road Timing in total is about the same as the same journey done a couple of weeks ago.
Could be down to me having a bit of a struggle getting the shoe to engage the pedal lol.
Have noticed though on RunKeeper, alot of the mile splits where I wouldn't have needed to have disengage were quicker (a bit with a fairly long uphill was about 40 seconds faster)

Almost fell off going in front of a learner (coming the other way - I moved across to let then through - worst of all, I had already put one foot on the ground, and I was trying to sort the other foot out so I could push off again -managed to save myself from falling though !).

Real test will be if I commute on Thursday (Roadworks closing a road I use Mon-Wed, so can't test against my usual route).

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'd always used Clips and Straps on road bike and toe cups on MTB. Recently fitted spuds and not looking back. I've found the security of being firmly attached to the pedal better than any previous riding experience. Not had a proper clipless moment yet (hope it never comes:biggrin:).

Had clipless for years but I remember the problem I had with toeclips knackering my trainers...Then one day I changed to spd's and haven't looked back.

Shaun

Founder
The one thing I love about clipless is the "no bounce" effect. Your feet stay glued to the pedals, even over those really poor condition roads. :laugh:

bauldbairn

Admin said:
The one thing I love about clipless is the "no bounce" effect. Your feet stay glued to the pedals, even over those really poor condition roads. :biggrin:

It must be just me but I've never lost my grip on my flat pedals - I always choose my riding shoes carefully. :smile:
I took a brand new set of clips/straps off my new bike(a few months ago) as they didn't appeal - or feel safe. :sad:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting any of you - I do intend giving clipless "a go" at some point because I feel I can't have an opinion on it if I don't try it myself. Maybe later on in the year - I still like reading the posts/threads about which shoes/pedals/cleats suit best though. :smile: - :laugh:

GrasB

Veteran
You should be a bit faster as you're not flexing the sole of the shoe anywhere as much & also you can push forward/back on the pedal to make more effective use of the down stroke. Going up hill you can also use the upstroke to give a more power... a lot more power.

OP
OP
N

Norm

GrasB said:
You should be a bit faster as you're not flexing the sole of the shoe anywhere as much & also you can push forward/back on the pedal to make more effective use of the down stroke. Going up hill you can also use the upstroke to give a more power... a lot more power.
Yes, I found that, on the "flat", I'm starting to push even before the stroke reaches TDC and, when putting on the pressure, it's much easier to use the upstroke than it is with clips. Although it did feel strange lifting against the shoe rather than the toe clips, I know that'll be something I get used to.

I had a semi-clipless moment when practising in the garden but, tbh, I only tried it for a few minutes and it was more to set the tension than to practice. I'm not sure that clipping in and out when leaning against a wall is necessarily going to make it any more or less reflexive to unclip in a hurry when riding.

bauldbairn said:
It must be just me but I've never lost my grip on my flat pedals - I always choose my riding shoes carefully. :smile:
I took a brand new set of clips/straps off my new bike(a few months ago) as they didn't appeal - or feel safe. :sad:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting any of you - I do intend giving clipless "a go" at some point because I feel I can't have an opinion on it if I don't try it myself. Maybe later on in the year - I still like reading the posts/threads about which shoes/pedals/cleats suit best though. :thumbsup: - :tongue:
Yesterday was the first time clipless with me and I agree with Shaun's comment about the additional stability on rough surfaces. The tow path is pretty lumpy in parts and has dried solid so riding it on the 700x32c tyres can be a challenge but it was all good with the new set up.

I have flats on the MTB and never had a problem with them, but I did prefer the toe clips on the road bikes so, when I spotted RyanW selling some shoes and pedals a couple of weeks ago, I decided to "give it a go". Going pre-loved obviously gives the chance to have a go without committing the £130-odd for new shoes and pedals. I then had the call about the new job on the way home from collecting the shoes and pedals, and I haven't had a chance to practice until yesterday.

I fitted Ryan's (egg whisk) pedals on the Secteur and went for a short run, and decided within about a dozen miles that it was the way to go, so picked up the M520s for the Tricross on the way home. I must admit that I like having the option of flats with the M520s. Whilst Eton Bridge is a bike path (part of NCN4, indeed), Windsor is rammed full of tourists and I was doing walking speed there.

The 5% difference in overall time was a bit of a surprise to me, an unexpected benefit which shows, for me, how much better I can get the power through the wheels.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I can't speak for off-road use but when I changed to spds a couple of years ago, I didn't get any consistent increase in speed at all. Yes, I went a bit faster in my first few rides but this was probably a bit of exhilaration from the feeling of being much more part of the bike.

I wouldn't go back to 'standard' pedals - that sense of being more connected plus never having any slips off the pedal, especially when riding out of the saddle, is worth it anyway.

What was a bit strange was going the other way when forced to use a different bike on a handful of occasions , i.e. how odd and clumsy non-spd pedals felt on rides after being on spds. I do have a theory for why though.

If your foot is free to move around on the pedal, you are constantly making small adjustments to keep the ball of your foot in the optimum position on the pedal. With regular use, these adjustments become smaller, more precise and completely unconscious. With clipless systems there's no need for this ability at all and based on my somewhat limited experience, you can lose it, which is why standard pedals can feel so awkward after clipless.

John

Admin said:
The one thing I love about clipless is the "no bounce" effect. Your feet stay glued to the pedals, even over those really poor condition roads. :thumbsup:

....and you don't stay "glued" to the pedals when you and the bike part company.:tongue:

D

Deleted member 1258

I tried clipless about two years ago, SPDS, for about six months Didn't get any advantage from using them and went back to toeclips and straps. I am considering trying again when I replace my Dawes, using road pedals, but if I find I get no advantage from using them again I will go back to toeclips again, I have no plans to use clipless on the fixed I use for general running about, to much messing about having to use cycle shoes all the time and having to change when i get where I am going.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Same pedals as I bought, Norm. I took mine back off again, probably until next weekend when I hope to try them in Thetford Forest (ground is softer in case of a clipless moment) :rofl:

OP
OP
N

Norm

Norm said:
Even though I'd already done a few miles today, and the weather isn't exactly ideal for riding, this evening's run was 40'34" - that's 2.5 minutes faster than my previous best. Just from changing to clipless.
Just gone out again, cooler weather etc and did the run in 38' 20". :biggrin:

I've brought that time down from over 60 minutes a year ago but still, I wouldn't have believed that I could take 4 minutes off a 40 minute run.

And, :rofl: me for getting under 40 mins. :smile:
AndyCarolan said:
Same pedals as I bought, Norm. I took mine back off again, probably until next weekend when I hope to try them in Thetford Forest (ground is softer in case of a clipless moment) :sad:
Nice pedals, IMO, they feel good when used as flats. I had an almost moment today when something with wings got inside my helmet (and no, I don't mean sanitary wear!) and I stopped in a bit of a rush to get rid of it. I still managed to unclip first, though. :biggrin:

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Norm said:
Nice pedals, IMO, they feel good when used as flats. I had an almost moment today when something with wings got inside my helmet (and no, I don't mean sanitary wear!) and I stopped in a bit of a rush to get rid of it. I still managed to unclip first, though. ;)

oh dude... i sympathize... I had a similar incident yesterday except that i ended up choking on something with wings that entered my mouth as i took in a gulp of air. In my semi-urgent need to stop, i lost my footing, twisted my ankle, fell off the bike and came to a stop thanks to a tree and a wire fence. Only a slight cut to my arm and I guess the fly-protein was useful in a way :welcome:

Top Bottom