Fastest commute ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh I was so chuffed this morning! My fastest commute EVER. i went from Bromley via the A21 to Lewisham then the A202 via Peckham, Camberwell, and on to Vauxhall and Hyde Park Corner. 30.1km/hr rolling average according to my Cateye Astrale 8. To get that average I had to sit at 38km/hr on the flat, and over 50 on even the slightest downhill. There were some very surprised kids in a school van that I kept up with from Peckham to Victoria, thats also the first time I've kept up with fast flowing 8am Sunday morning traffic.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
on the fixed ?

Did you run any red lights or mount any pavements....? ;)

Nice one:biggrin:.

Not my fastest today, but great conditions for cycle commuting. Cold and crisp this morning with a slight tailwind, weeeeeee!;):biggrin:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nah, it was on the 'bent, MrG. Yes, I stopped for all the traffic lights, and the only bits of pavement I rode on was leaving my house, and in Hyde Park, just a few meters worth. LOL!

Not so fast a commute for some perhaps, but plenty enough for me, esp. given it's the first time I've broken the 30km/hour rolling average.

domtyler

Über Member
I fixed my garmin edge to my fixie a little while ago and hav ethe stats from that mornings ride in:

Summary Data
Total Time (h:m:s) 0:21:23 3:21 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 0:20:33 3:13 pace
Distance (mi ) 6.37
Moving Speed (mph) 18.6 avg. 33.4 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +427 / -366

Avg. Heart Rate 169 bpm Zone 5.1

Temperature (°F) 61.7°F avg. 62.6°F high
Wind Speed ( mph) NW 2.3 avg. NW 3.5 max.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm generally into the wind and uphills going in and stink

generally tailwind and downhills on the return, averaged 18mph+ and that's with shags of red lights

what's with you people and your kmh?

Tynan

Veteran
uh huh, fair enough, loads of people seem to use kmh

I have a suspicion that they do it because it's a bigger number so it seems like they've done faster/longer

cupoftea

The fastest I've done was this year on my old race MTB with slicks on, and average of 33.2KPH over 24K Buckhurst Hill to Westminster, hit a maximum of 46.2kph

On my winter bike I doubt I'm doing 25kph :-(

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Divide by 1.609 to convert, so 18.7mph average over 15 miles. Tynan, that doesn't work if you specify the units, which is why I'm always careful to put the km/hour.

LOL, I've just realised that commute isn't at all fast compared to my Berlin marathon time on inline skates. 26.2 miles in 1:17:48, or 20.21mph average. That's a bit horrifying to realise I was that much faster on skates, which are considerably less efficient than a normal bike, much less my recumbent.

Top Bottom