Fastest Pace Commute Yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad at urage

I'm getting little purple spots in my eyes and think I might pass out!

I work slightly flexible hours - must do 7.5 hours each day and must be at work between 10am and 5pm, so today decide to have a bit of a lie in and get in for 9:30am. Recently I've been riding from Nottingham to Beeston (about 4 miles) then taking train from Beeston to Derby, then about 5 miles to work from there.

Arrive at Beeston at 8:35 to get the 8:42. Wait. About 8 fortysomething an announcement is made saying the train has been cancelled and after some faffing about it emerges my best option is to get the train back to Nottingham, then I MIGHT catch the 9:12 to Swansea that will get me to derby at 9:40 which I MIGHT be able to get to work by ten for.

Sod that.

20 miles from Beeston to work. One hour to go. Can I average 20mph over 20 miles with busy traffic, country lanes, gravel track, lots of junctions, people walking dogs on towpaths? All this in 25 degree heat?

Clocked in at 9:58 :smile:

(however, I now have to stay at work until 6:30pm. Bah!)
:bravo: :bravo: :bicycle::bravo:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
But where would the fun have been in that?

The fun would have been in you taking a detour and doing a cycle commute that is longer than 20 miles.

If I had the choice between 20mph for 20 miles or a gentle pootle for 40 miles, I know which I'd opt for.

I'm also kinda flexy like you Jez, and once I took a detour cause it was a nice day.

I told my boss that I stopped to help female commuter who got a puncture on a country lane and she had no spare inner tube. That's exactly as it happened, except it happened a few days earlier. Nowt like an ace card up one's proverbial sleeve.

Top Bottom