1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fastest speed on a bike

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by justAl, 9 May 2008.

1. justAl

justAl New Member

Is it true the record was set by a guy going down the side of a volcano / mountain and reached over 100mph? :thumbsup:
    does anybody know the record?

2. walker

walker New Member

yeah, and the frame snapped

3. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

4. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

I read a report about a group of (motor)bikers who descend on Richmond Park at 4am.

Who then tie a cyclist (on a bike!) to their back with a bungee rope.

They then race a couple of laps of the park (with cyclist pulled behind) to find the fastest winner.

I think the report mentioned speeds of up to 70. In the dark!!!!

5. thePig

thePig New Member

6. walker

walker New Member

question is, how do you stop? thats one hell of a job for koolstops

7. Night Train

Night Train Guest

8. Milo

Milo Veteran

I can barely stop when I hit 45 - 50 on the local beast hills god knows what you would do at that kinda speed.

9. thePig

thePig New Member

i guess perhaps....not stop.

10. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

Braking is for girls;)
    You could of course use decent sized disk brakes. Your going down hill so the extra weight wont matter much.

11. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

I got 54mph down the A2 Blackheath Hill, and somehow I timed the descent perfectly, hit the lights at green immediately at the bottom so I had a good run off and barely any need to use the brakes.
    It was exhilarating but I've never been tempted to try it again.

But then I could just fit a computer to the trike and go try it again late at night:biggrin:!!

12. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

46mph down a no-name back road in the Cotswolds (just outside Broadway iirc). Bottled out and hit the brakes because the road surface was so bad that I couldn't see straight on account of the vibrations.

13. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

I've had a pump fly off the cross bar at about 40mph downhill on a road into Bath, the pump narrowly missing my mate who was drafting.:biggrin:
    Thankfully no other traffic.

Oh how we laughed as I had to troop back up the hill to retrieve it.:blush::blush:

14. Renard

Renard Guest

54mph going down the hill from Carmichael to the A73, near Tinto, and my back wheel was out of true having broken a spoke earlier that day. I might have went faster down the Col de Lauteret though but I didn't have a computer then.

15. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

where's that B&W pic from years ago of the bloke drafting a car on some salt flats somewhere?