fastest speed on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

justAl

Is it true the record was set by a guy going down the side of a volcano / mountain and reached over 100mph? :thumbsup:
does anybody know the record?

walker

yeah, and the frame snapped

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Braking is for girls;)
You could of course use decent sized disk brakes. Your going down hill so the extra weight wont matter much.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I got 54mph down the A2 Blackheath Hill, and somehow I timed the descent perfectly, hit the lights at green immediately at the bottom so I had a good run off and barely any need to use the brakes.
It was exhilarating but I've never been tempted to try it again.

But then I could just fit a computer to the trike and go try it again late at night:biggrin:!!

46mph down a no-name back road in the Cotswolds (just outside Broadway iirc). Bottled out and hit the brakes because the road surface was so bad that I couldn't see straight on account of the vibrations.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've had a pump fly off the cross bar at about 40mph downhill on a road into Bath, the pump narrowly missing my mate who was drafting.:biggrin:
Thankfully no other traffic.

Oh how we laughed as I had to troop back up the hill to retrieve it.:blush::blush:

Renard

54mph going down the hill from Carmichael to the A73, near Tinto, and my back wheel was out of true having broken a spoke earlier that day. I might have went faster down the Col de Lauteret though but I didn't have a computer then.

I wasn't going that fast but a few weeks ago. I was heading from Queen St to Dundas St and at the lights I waited behind the car as the road was down to one lane with roadworks. A lady cyclist decided not too and when the lights Green I was stuck behind a car heavily braking for her. When she eventually pulled to the side I quickly got up to speed (the computer said 28.1mph). Unfortunately I hit a pothole right in the middle of a junction and the Topeak phone bag came flying off my handlebars. Fortunately the road went strangely quiet and I managed to retrieve it and the phone was OK.
I'm glad now the other cyclist held me up now.

Noodley

Joe24 said:
Braking is for girls;)
You could of course use decent sized disk brakes. Your going down hill so the extra weight wont matter much.

Disk brakes are for cyclists who can't cycle properly :blush::biggrin::blush:

Top Bottom