fastest speed on a bike

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by justAl, 9 May 2008.

1. justAl

justAl New Member

Is it true the record was set by a guy going down the side of a volcano / mountain and reached over 100mph? :thumbsup:
    does anybody know the record?

2. walker

walker New Member

yeah, and the frame snapped

3. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

4. thePig

thePig New Member

5. walker

walker New Member

question is, how do you stop? thats one hell of a job for koolstops

6. Night Train

Night Train Maker of Things

7. Milo

Milo Veteran

I can barely stop when I hit 45 - 50 on the local beast hills god knows what you would do at that kinda speed.

8. thePig

thePig New Member

i guess perhaps....not stop.

9. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

Braking is for girls;)
    You could of course use decent sized disk brakes. Your going down hill so the extra weight wont matter much.

10. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

I got 54mph down the A2 Blackheath Hill, and somehow I timed the descent perfectly, hit the lights at green immediately at the bottom so I had a good run off and barely any need to use the brakes.
    It was exhilarating but I've never been tempted to try it again.

But then I could just fit a computer to the trike and go try it again late at night:biggrin:!!

11. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

46mph down a no-name back road in the Cotswolds (just outside Broadway iirc). Bottled out and hit the brakes because the road surface was so bad that I couldn't see straight on account of the vibrations.

12. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

I've had a pump fly off the cross bar at about 40mph downhill on a road into Bath, the pump narrowly missing my mate who was drafting.:biggrin:
    Thankfully no other traffic.

Oh how we laughed as I had to troop back up the hill to retrieve it.:blush::blush:

13. Renard

Renard Guest

54mph going down the hill from Carmichael to the A73, near Tinto, and my back wheel was out of true having broken a spoke earlier that day. I might have went faster down the Col de Lauteret though but I didn't have a computer then.

14. I wasn't going that fast but a few weeks ago. I was heading from Queen St to Dundas St and at the lights I waited behind the car as the road was down to one lane with roadworks. A lady cyclist decided not too and when the lights Green I was stuck behind a car heavily braking for her. When she eventually pulled to the side I quickly got up to speed (the computer said 28.1mph). Unfortunately I hit a pothole right in the middle of a junction and the Topeak phone bag came flying off my handlebars. Fortunately the road went strangely quiet and I managed to retrieve it and the phone was OK.
    I'm glad now the other cyclist held me up now.

15. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Disk brakes are for cyclists who can't cycle properly :blush::biggrin::blush:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice