Fat bike fun on ice !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zipp2001

Veteran
Winter has been running late as far as snow goes, but at least I still get to play on some ice. Went to check how the ice fishing was going and they couldn't understand how I was able to stay up on the ice with my bike. They never heard of studded tires for bikes, so they thought that was cool. Now we just need some decent snow to make it really fun.

How's your winter riding going ?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G56USf2t9k

It doesn't look very hilly there. Pretty flat, it seems.

Is a nice playground, I'll grant you that. It was interesting to watch the back tyre (not) turn. The camera's frame rate matched the frequency of the tread pattern. When you held a constant speed, all that varied was the tread oscillating slightly because of pedal speed variances. I never really understood how much a bike "pulses" in speed when pedaled, but here we could see it clearly.

If I had some tread distance detail, frame rate and a few beers and a calculator, I could calculate the acceleration between pedal strokes. That would be cool for settling arguments about wheel weight. But, that's another story.

Meanwhile, I'll just listen to this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzV7FiuDYKo

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Two sets of ice tyres here. One bike is fitted with them already, the other is waiting for some really cold days. It's never cold enough in the UK to consider going onto frozen lakes, but it's handy for ice in general.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm about to fit the Hakkapeliittas to my old Cinder Cone. Tomorrow evening looks...challenging.

12boy

Guru
As I have seen it here some of the fishing huts are pretty plush....got your generator, dvds with unwholesome content, a heater, lots of beers and other tipple, definitely a cooler and lots of healthy snacks like high MSG jerky and sausage sticks, pork rinds and kettle chips, cheetos......the list goes on. Oh and a 3/4 ton turbo diesel dually to haul the damn thing around. Course some are more spartan. Need some thick ice, though.

Top Bottom