Fat, old & slow, in Yorkshire UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
:welcome:

OP
OP
S

sploo

Regular
How young? I would suggest that if you are only 50 or 60 yrs old then there are still KOMs to be had and you shouldn't knock your potential.

I'm 50, don't train, weigh 95kg and work shifts but still give many a young gun a run for their money and can ride 100+ miles for multiple days.

JFDI....

Knocking on 50, and just north of Leeds.

Unfortunately even when I was in my twenties the only KOM title I was likely to get was the fastest descent (I believe I have a different gravitation constant to the rest of humanity). At least, that's my excuse.

Mike_P

Guru
Provided you have a decent range of gears and take it steady you will be okay. Would recommend a cadence sensor, you will quickly establish what is the most comfortable for you and hence adjust the rear gears to suit as you go up one of the local hills which invariably is constantly varying on its gradient.
Having the right gearing showed one day climbing Pateley High Street and for once passing a stack of cyclists all struggling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sploo

Regular
Provided you have a decent range of gears and take it steady you will be okay. Would recommend a cadence sensor, you will quickly establish what is the most comfortable for you and hence adjust the rear gears to suit as you go up of the local hills which invariably is constantly varying on its gradient.
Having the right gearing showed one day climbing Pateley High Street and for once passing a stack of cyclists all struggling.
Yea, I got a Wahoo speed sensor and a cadence sensor a few years back, along with a Polar heart rate monitor. Whilst I do pay attention to the cadence value I've found the heart rate monitor the most crucial, as it does tend to shoot up worryingly high when I'm climbing. Having shed a chunk of weight this year is helping greatly though.

Top Bottom