Fatal Accident: appeal for witnesses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

BentMikey said:
Do you know this to be the case? According to what I've read,the majority of these cases involve ill-judged overtakes by the drivers.

I only know what i have read and the photographs and road schematics that I've seen. I'm making an observation not making any judgements. I am suggesting that someone should collate and analyse all relevant data to see if there are any trends we can use to improve safety for everyone including lorry drivers

peanut

BentMikey said:
I'm not automatically assuming either, but the balance of probabilities lies with the drivers being more likely to be at fault.

what evidence do you have that suggests that ?

I'm fed up with cyclists blaming drivers ,especially HGV drivers of being the source of accidents .
Particularly when many of those cyclists have never driven a vehicle and have almost no comprehension of the distractions, hazards and problems faced by drivers on busy city roads.

There are many other factors involved including weather conditions, lighting, glare, road surfaces, road width, size of roundabouts, signage , other drivers etc etc etc .

If you are looking for an argument try P&L :o)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would expect that you'll find relatively few people on here who are not also drivers.

Why do I think drivers are more likely to be at fault? It's because of that RAC study that found that in the subset of collisions involving cyclists and motor vehicle drivers, around 4 in 5 were the fault of the driver. OTOH I'd be the first to accept that HGV drivers are better trained, and usually have a better attitude than the average driver, but enough to redress such a serious difference? I doubt it.

Besides which, there are quite a few of these incidents that seem to show the blame falls on the driver.

Origamist

Legendary Member
peanut said:
I only know what i have read and the photographs and road schematics that I've seen. I'm making an observation not making any judgements. I am suggesting that someone should collate and analyse all relevant data to see if there are any trends we can use to improve safety for everyone including lorry drivers

Various organisations/departments do this: DFT, LRSU, TRL etc

OP
OP
H

handsome joe

peanut said:
wind ya neck in mate .I was just observing how inaccurate the jounalistic reporting accuracy was fcs:biggrin:

If we don't investigate the full facts of why the accident happened how are we supposed to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Use a bit of commensense and read posts properly before you kick off.

Kids eh tsk tsk don't we have a lower age limit on here ?;):biggrin::biggrin:

I did read your post. Unless i misunderstood, your point was that the accident may have been caused by the cyclists or 'untrained cyclists'. Therefore your wish that there should be some numbers kept of the amount of accidents caused by cyclists. Again, i did read your post but i think it's bit disrepectful to pre-judge what or who caused the accident.
I don't feel i was going over the top with my reply.

Top Bottom