Fatalities from not RLJ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domeo

I have never heard of any fatalities in this country as a result of stopping for red.I was wondering if this is actually the case or whether there has been an example from a comparable country.

Haven't heard of any myself.

Can't recall ever reading of any, however I suspect the interaction at lights may have been a factor in fatalities with left hooking HGVs. ie if the cyclist had RLJ then they wouldn't have been in harms way from the HGV, or just stopped in the drivers blind spot.
This of course does not justify RLJ or absolve drivers from actually looking out for stopped cycles.

eddiemee

I posted the following about a year ago. Fortunately this was a non-event, but did get me thinking about whether stopping for the light could be dangerous in some very specific situations:

https://www.cyclechat.net/

BTW, in response to your original question, not heard of any fatalities due to cyclists stopping for red, but at the same time such incidents would more likely be reported as the following traffic failing to stop for red.

jimboalee

I have not heared of any fatalities due to a cyclist stopping on a red and a car rolling straight into him,, BECAUSE I'M STILL ALIVE..

I was on my way to my school chum's house and pulled up at the lamps at Warwick Rd, Hampton Lane ( outside Solihull School in 1973 ish ). The idiot behind me was looking at something else and rolled into my rear wheel.

No damage.

Solihull School was a 'boys only' in those days, but Malvern Hall was a girls only and was across the road. Some of the young girls wore revealing skirts and blouses to tease the Solihull Schoolboys.....:smile:

Funtboy

Domeo said:
I have never heard of any fatalities in this country as a result of stopping for red.I was wondering if this is actually the case or whether there has been an example from a comparable country.

Well yes. People getting crushed by lorries turning left.

Funtboy

Piemaster said:
Can't recall ever reading of any, however I suspect the interaction at lights may have been a factor in fatalities with left hooking HGVs. ie if the cyclist had RLJ then they wouldn't have been in harms way from the HGV, or just stopped in the drivers blind spot.
This of course does not justify RLJ or absolve drivers from actually looking out for stopped cycles.

HGVs have an unavoidable blindspot so it's not a case drivers not looking for cyclists. It's a case of cyclist being aware of this and not being insane enough to sit idly in it whilst waiting for a green light.

Tynan

Veteran
it's a blind spot at any given moment but they're supposed to be aware of what's around them, not just have a quick look as best they can before manouvring

and to be fair the vast majority of big trucks I see on my commute are very aware and very considerate of cyclists, some of whom really do ask for trouble

Top Bottom