Fatality on A168 Sunday 10 May 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
RIP - that's a big, wide road used a lot for time-trialling. There's no blind corners and it's a straight view.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Straight road always says "driver texting" to me. It's the reason why my brother in the USA doesn't dare road ride.
Porsche 911 and a straight road always makes me think 'speeding' but then I worked at a garage where the bodyshop for the local Porsche dealer was located. :cursing:

BTW I worked at Clarks of Narborough and the Porsche dealer was Roger Clark Cars (yes that Roger Clark)

Sad news RIP

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Photo on BBC local news implies it was at a tight hand curve heading south from Boroughbridge

This is the road between the two - wide, no tight corners, long visibility. Let the police and coroner sort out what happened but unless the cyclist fell off the Porsche driver should've been able to pass them appropriately:

snip_20200512124720.png

This is a road my son and I do a lot of TT's on as it's one of the safer ones.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Recently I was following a Transit van on the A59 and for about half a mile on a straight stretch the van veered slowly to the left, mounted the low kerb and drove along with two wheels on the pavement before slowly moving back onto the roadway. The driver was either drunk, asleep or texting. Thank God it's an empty stretch of road and there were no pedestrians or cyclists.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My condolences...

Im thinking of installing a mirror on my bike to try to help decrease of being wiped out. Having an extra eye on whats going on behind can surely only be a good thing...

My condolences...

Im thinking of installing a mirror on my bike to try to help decrease of being wiped out. Having an extra eye on whats going on behind can surely only be a good thing...
Sadly, it's not YOUR lack of awareness that makes these drivers kill and maim. If mirrors were effective, we'd all have them. Save your money and just keep riding on high speed roads to a minimum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
My condolences...
Sadly, it's not YOUR lack of awareness that makes these drivers kill and maim. If mirrors were effective, we'd all have them. Save your money and just keep riding on high speed roads to a minimum.
A mirror can assist but IME usually only for specific instances such as when wanting to turn right on a busy road as you can readily spot an approaching gap in passing traffic sufficient to move to an appropriate position on the carriageway. As the majority of my rides involve such then before the lockdown I would ensure a mirror was appropriately aligned well before the junction which otherwise is tucked down - on straight bars I use a Mirrycle Mountain Mirror and on drops a Zefal spin - the latter out of use sits directly under the drop. Since the lockdown began and despite increasing traffic recently I have not found it necessary to use them.

Drago

Legendary Member
For the average human being mirrors don't help. A glance in the mirror becomes a substitute for proper observation. Unless one is properly trained and disciplined, human nature and psychology negates their effectiveness.

Top Bottom