Fatbikes - Trail toy or trail tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
If you haven't seen a fat bike its like this...

1373856156755-1ft1lhepa6ajs-630-354.jpg

Big bouncy tyres, but no suspension. I remember watching one of James Cracknells artic challenges where he used one, and I thought they were just for snow or sand when running low tyre pressures, but it seems they are becoming used more on trails... I have even seen one over Cannock!

Question is (for normal conditions)... are they just a bit of novelty fun, or a real trail tool?

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
Fashion - they look like they are a lot harder work than a normal bike, ergo the novelty will wear off.

jack smith

Veteran
looks abit hard to get up the hills and dosent look like its tyres could get through the gaps in rocks that easy especially with sidewalls that big

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've ridden a Pugsly, around a welsh mountain bog, about 10 years ago. How trendy am I? It was like riding in a farmer's landrover, it went places my own bikes could not go. They don't have to be massively expensive; see On-One for details.

Dated review of the genre here

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Looks ridiculous!

There is a guy locally who commutes on one

He seems to keep up a fair pace, but it does look weird*

*says the guy who commutes the same road on recumbent trike sand a cargo trike

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
A friend added an onone Fat Bike to his stable and loves it. Downhill the tyres act as great suspension without any of the wear and tear his 4k full suss bike suffers, huge fun and very rideable, if needing some riding style changes thanks to the slower steering and different cornering characteristics.

He did a leisure ride with us and kept up although it was hard work and not really suited (his spare tube alone was a kilo in weight) still, gave him a decent workout while we bimbled.

Quick and fun in the right conditions. But he isn't selling anything because he owns it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I chatted to a guy who has a fat bike.

Nice piece of kit - titanium frame - it's a Belgian make and costs about £3K.

He's a keen mountain biker and has other bikes, but told me he uses the fat bike more and more.

Only downside he said is the bike is slower on level hard pack and, of course, on the road.

Who me?????? :thumbsup:

Got two, selling one this week.

There are trail orientated geometry Fat bikes out now such at the On One Fatty (under a grand) and the new Salsa ICT (Ice Cream Truck) which are great fun on trail centers and up in the hill on singletrack.

IMO the classic double triangle framed looking Fat Bikes such as the black one above in the photo, my Salsa Mukluk, Surly's Pugsley etc are more for beach riding and better suited to longer less technical riding.

9580817325_90686b53c1_z.jpg

14715573122_fda60488a3_z.jpg

I've ridden 750 mile on the On One Fatty and it's a great "trail" bike, but not that good on the beach, this is the one that's going this week as my other more "trail" orientated Half Fat bike is getting over looked and needs more riding.

I've ridden my blue Mukluk 1000mile more than the Fatty and although it's not a "trail" bike but it's defiantly staying because I live close to long beaches and no hills or trail centres trail centres

Top Bottom