Fatbikes - Trail toy or trail tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fashion - they look like they are a lot harder work than a normal bike, ergo the novelty will wear off.

See my above post, with my 2 fat bikes, my half fat bike (fat wheel up front) and my 29er+ (3" semi fat bike) I've ridden over 4500 miles on mine over the several years since I imported in the first Mukluk to the UK.
I've gained a massive amount of fitness and legs that make Jens Voigt's jealous. So at 47 years old, no the novelty has and won't wear off :becool:;)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd love one... do they do a 36" version?

Caperider

I have a salsa bucksaw full suspension . its my favorite bike ever its like riding a couch in the woods or on the beach and its 33 lbs . I'm in the states on cape cod .and fatties are still quite popular here . 627109
That's me on the beach 8 weeks out after double knee replacements.:smile:

Caperider

Saw this and it looks like a fun ride I've had 5 recumbents this was from a company in Poland the frame is around 925 us $.
Velomotion

Last edited:

Zipp2001

Veteran
Just pump the tires up for the street and let some out for off-road .my first Framed fatty I rode 40 miles in Boston on the Ride Boston fund raised it was a blast. It was 18 speed View attachment 627386

Looking forward to my visit to the city (Boston) on Patriots Day (Boston Marathon). I used to do the Hal's ride, but because of the cancelation of the marathon one year, and date moved this past year I haven't been out their. I checked and the marathon is back on for 2022 Patriots Day so I'll spend the day rolling the streets of the city with my single speed. :bicycle:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Comes to mind

Attachments

• fat.jpg
    fat.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 7

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Interesting question. I think: Both.

Fat bikes are sometimes a necessary tool. Highly recommend documentary 'Safety to Nome' about an Alaskan ultra-marathon - it follows folks doing it on bikes.

Then again, I've seen entire families on cycle rides using them and having a blast. Don't see anything wrong with that. I guess one could argue that it's a bit like using a proper 4x4 to drive through town, but hey, you do you.

Caperider

They do steer a little weird if front tire is to low on the street. I have 1600 acres of conservation land litteraly across the street from my house we are out there all the time except during hunting season!:eek: lol there is a company called "Framed " they have a full carbon w/Bluto suspension fork and its around 2000 bucks. And not super heavy mid 20' s for lbs. I got mine for 2200 as a 2016 left over from a bike shop on eBay in the box.6 hrs later I was all assembled and riding it .

Last edited:
Top Bottom