Faulty smart rear light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I have a fairly old smart 1/2 watt rear light (bought 11/09). It has had light use (not pun intended). During that time it has worked well. Just recently though, I found that the betteries go flat even when the light is not in use. I originally thought that it was maybe the rechargeables that I was using were on their last legs and not holding charge. So I put in some alkali batteries. After a few days, these batteries were also dead even though the light was off. So it would seem that the light is drawing current even when off.
Have others noticed this? I think it has developed a fault.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Leave it on a radiator for a day or so. These have a habbit of getting their own life when slightly damp, and they will switch themselves on and off, or not at all. Take cover off, and leave lamp on radiator.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
When it has dried out, smear some vaseline (or similar) round the cover seal - it stops water getting in and sending the light wappy :smile:

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Just done a test with a multi-meter:
Current draw: On 62ma, Flash 40ma average, Off 1.8ma.
So my normal 900maH NMHi batteries will last about 20 days even when the light is off.
Surely this must be a fault. The light should not take power when off.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have had a couple of Smart lights. One is still going strong in it's third winter, the other got wet a few times, dried out and used to work after a while on the radiator, now has a mind of it's own. Turns itself on and off randomly. My advice get a Phaart for £2.50 from Planet X grease and tape up the joints and use that instead, hell no get two Phaarts. Once a rear light is faulty it isn't worth taking the risk.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
One oif my Smart Lunar 1/2 Watt rea\r lights refuses to turn off if I leave it in the cold shed.If I store it in the warm house it works perfectly. Occasionally clean the contacts and spray some WD 40 about.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Put it on the radiator. Tested it again today. Now drawing 0.4ma when off. So it seems to be something to do with being damp.

Kookas

Über Member
Putting it in rice is good for drawing moisture out of electronic devices. Uncooked of course!

That's saved my phone from an untimely fate several times, but for lights which ought to be waterproof, I'd just say don't buy Smart. Seems like they all have trouble with waterproofing, and the last thing you want in rain is to be invisible. I had mine die from water in the middle of essentially nowhere, and replaced it with a Moon Comet. Twice the price, but on full power it's so bright I could stick it to the handlebars to light the way.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
That's saved my phone from an untimely fate several times, but for lights which ought to be waterproof, I'd just say don't buy Smart. Seems like they all have trouble with waterproofing, and the last thing you want in rain is to be invisible. I had mine die from water in the middle of essentially nowhere, and replaced it with a Moon Comet. Twice the price, but on full power it's so bright I could stick it to the handlebars to light the way.
I've heard the same said about most popular bike lights on here and on shop reviews - Smarts, Cateyes, Fibreflares, Knogs etc. On the advice of someone on here, I bought a little tube of silicone grease and put some on the opening of all my lights and so far they've all been fine, Smarts included. We probably shouldn't have to but it does seem worth doing :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Some of my smart lights are 5+ years old and still going fine. I think they are brilliant for the price and brightness of the light meaning you can afford to have several (mine get lost in pockets/bags etc), plus it's good to have 2 on the bike (and enough to put on all the families bikes meaning they all have the same bracket on the bike and can steal a light from someone else when required). I think I've only had two problems with mine .... the contact on one had to be bent slightly as it wasn't switching on I think (there is a thread somewhere), and one time when water got in and it refused to switch off once.

Kookas

Über Member
I've heard the same said about most popular bike lights on here and on shop reviews - Smarts, Cateyes, Fibreflares, Knogs etc. On the advice of someone on here, I bought a little tube of silicone grease and put some on the opening of all my lights and so far they've all been fine, Smarts included. We probably shouldn't have to but it does seem worth doing :smile:

Magicshine as well, was a bit of a downer when I found out that the battery pack is vulnerable to water (the company admitted it). I suppose you could go at it yourself with Vaseline, but then you're gambling. Better to find a light with squeaky clean credentials IMO.

Top Bottom