Fav Rides and Ridiculous climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

mr browndog

jimboalee said:
Curiousity.

What gear length are you using.

I'm on 30 ring, 25 sprocket for the 19% bits.

im on a triple (50/39/30)

not at the stage yet were i want to change, maybee somthing to consider in the future

lantern rouge

mr browndog said:
lantern rouge,where is chimney bank?
is it local, wouldnt mind looking for it on google earth and try mapping out a route, i loe a good hill to try and get up especially when your heart is trying to thump out of your chest half way up

Rosedale chimney bank "the chimney" can be accessed via the village of Rosedale Abbey in the N. York moors...if you get up it, the road goes to Hutton le Hole, where you can turn back to Blakey Ridge and check out Blakey Bank while you're out there!

two killers in one day! If you survive, celebrate with a stiff drink at the Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge....Google is your friend.

You've got a chance if you've got young,fit legs and a triple, I've got old , unfit legs and a compact - I only just made it in the car!

LR

OP
OP
M

mr browndog

great, ill look to see if i can work a route out to get there and back, hopefully it wont be too far or i may have to drive out there and try getting up the chimney

OP
OP
M

mr browndog

just read that chimney bank lays claim to being the steepest public roand in england !!!
not sure i want to try it now

jimboalee

Went on a Midlands mesh 100 yesterday. Didn't need the 30 tooth ring at all.

I got to thinking…

The human being is naturally LAZY. From the dawn of modern time, he has employed animals to do all the fetching and carrying and transportation.
He invents a 'Wheel'. He discovers the power of steam and designs a machine to replace the horse, because a horse is too difficult to maintain.

As the popularity of the steam engine gains, horses get made redundant so the poorer individuals in society come to rely on the railways and foot power.

Some clever chappie invents a 'self powered' machine with two wheels because this 'Walking everywhere' thing is too energetic.
The 'Bicycle' becomes a great hit and soon every pauper in the land owns one and finds it easy to throw in the shed after a journey; instead of feeding, washing and grooming.

The lower classes are happy for a hundred years until early in the twenty first century, a group of youngsters on a British cycling chatboard start moaning because they consider all the advances in bicycle technology still don't make it easy enough.

As I said, the human being is naturally LAZY.

jimboalee

Vikeonabike said:
My hilly route East of bourne in Lincs....Look at the profile...it's Himalayan (at first glance)
Hilly ride east of bourne

xx(

I planned, but never got to ride it, a 200km Overseas Audax from San Francisco to San Jose, round Silicon Valley and back to San Fran.

The highest point on the route was 80 ft above sea level.... a bridge over the BART rail line... :biggrin::laugh:

I decided to ride the 25% hills Downtown instead. :ohmy:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
jimboalee said:
xx(

I planned, but never got to ride it, a 200km Overseas Audax from San Francisco to San Jose, round Silicon Valley and back to San Fran.

The highest point on the route was 80 ft above sea level.... a bridge over the BART rail line... :biggrin::laugh:

I decided to ride the 25% hills Downtown instead. :ohmy:

Now that beats my 26' ASL

jimboalee

Vikeonabike said:
Now that beats my 26' ASL

Where I grew up as a child, the roads around my home formed a square, so that's what it got known as; 'The square'.

Perfectly flat and 1/4 mile round.

As an eight year old, on my 20" kids bike with rod brakes, I must have rode round it at least 100 times every day through the school summer holidays, chasing my sister and friends.

Drove the neighbours barmy with our clothes pegs and plastic strips in the spokes. :wacko:

Chrisc

Guru
Just attempted Thurstonland Bank Road near Holmfirth on my 34/25. A mile to the top, it's +10% for half that, 18% at worst, never less than 6% and I'm going to think long and hard before I go near it again. Didn't make it in one, had to rest for a mo twice. If I'm going to do this to myself I really should get a 27 on the back end I think!

jimboalee

Chrisc said:
Just attempted Thurstonland Bank Road near Holmfirth on my 34/25. A mile to the top, it's +10% for half that, 18% at worst, never less than 6% and I'm going to think long and hard before I go near it again. Didn't make it in one, had to rest for a mo twice. If I'm going to do this to myself I really should get a 27 on the back end I think!

That's 3.5 mph at just under 35 rpm.

18% - a little under 300 Watts.

Why did you stop?

You need some training. Go to the gym and ride the gym bike at 320 Watts for 15 minutes. Stand up if you wish.

Then write 100 lines "I must not stop half way up a small hill".

and then write 100 lines "I must not publish my failures on a public chatboard".

Chrisc

Guru
jimboalee said:
That's 3.5 mph at just under 35 rpm.

18% - a little under 300 Watts.

How do you work this out?

jimboalee said:
Why did you stop?

I was shagged out

jimboalee said:
You need some training. Go to the gym and ride the gym bike at 320 Watts for 15 minutes. Stand up if you wish.
I'm getting better, worked up to climbing in my 52" now instead of the 35" pansy sprocket...quicker and not necessarily harder, at least it doesn't feel like it. AND I'm standing/sitting and changing gear to suit. Getting there..mind the commute now has 800 feet of climb, most of which is in the last section so riding this hill every night seems to be helping.

jimboalee said:
Then write 100 lines "I must not stop half way up a small hill".

and then write 100 lines "I must not publish my failures on a public chatboard".

When I get up it in one , assuming I try it again, I'll pm you. :rolleyes:

zacklaws

Guru
mr browndog said:
just read that chimney bank lays claim to being the steepest public roand in england !!!
not sure i want to try it now

I cycled out 103 miles round trip last Friday to Rosedale just to climb "chimney bank". Took a slow ride there averaging 15mph just so I would not be tired when I got there as I did not know what to expect, studied it for about 15 minutes from the opposite side of the valley to see how traffic negotiated it and locate the severest part, 33%, before I attempted it.

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=&qryMountainID=8699

Did not really know where it started, but soon discovered I was well up it when I got to the first bend where I met a tanker coming down whereby I had to leave the road as it was on my side coming round the bends. When I got going again, found it really hard to keep the front end down, and then hit the severe part and crawled up at about 2mph on the 33% part finally getting to the top.

I felt that I had climbed worse in the past at the time, but maybe not, for when I came to the next hill eventually, my quads where killing me climbing it and it was like that for another 20 miles till I loosened up, every little bump was a killer I was that stiff, the climb had took that much out of my legs.

I fancied doing it again, as strangely, I had enjoyed doing it at the time, but in the evening at home, I felt a bit sick with the thought of how difficult it really was and the thought of how many times I nearly fell off with going so slow, and also the fact of how hard it was to keep the front end down as in places I had no steering and was just doing a wheelie and could have gone over backwards at any time.

On Monday, I was still suffering with my quads, and its only today that I am getting back to normal.

ASC1951

Guru
zacklaws said:
I cycled out 103 miles round trip last Friday to Rosedale just to climb "chimney bank". ....found it really hard to keep the front end down, and then hit the severe part and crawled up at about 2mph on the 33% part finally getting to the top.
You are in good company, Zacklaws. I watched the Tour of Britain go up it a dozen years ago. Chris Boardman may have had breath for the cameras, but nearly half the peleton got off and walked: most pro tours don't have anything more than half as steep.

Worst position - rear-gunner cameraman, when the motard failed to hold his big BMW on the brakes on that corner and started sliding backwards. The look on his face!

zacklaws

Guru
ASC1951 said:
Chris Boardman may have had breath for the cameras, but nearly half the peleton got off and walked: most pro tours don't have anything more than half as steep.

Boardman did it in 5' 53 seconds to take a second place on this website, I do not know where they started from and finished though, but it looks like they only did 1200 yds, which works out roughly at around 200yds a minute, compared to my 16 minutes which it took me:-

http://www.paulcurran.ndo.co.uk/articles/1987/871025-NationalHillClimb.html

Maybe if I did not have the benefit of a triple, unlike the Peleton, then I would have been walking too, in fact on the steep part it might be quicker to walk. But if you did stop on the steep part, I bet its a nightmare to clip back up and get going again. Plus how far had the peleton raced before they hit the chimney, whereas I took it steady to be fresh as that was the sole aim of the day.

Top Bottom