Favorite col??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
So whats your favorite col / mountain climb and why?

Mine is the col de la madeleine from le chambre. Not to severe apart from a small section in the middle, great road and amazing views from the top and for that matter on the way up. Its also not that crowded unlike some.

Cormet de Rosemund - First proper Col that I rode over - came out of Albertville about 4pm after having been delayed by heavy weather from Annecy - Theory was it was not too far to the top if I took it steady - be quick going down - should crack it in daylight - got to the top at 11pm in time to see the moon rise over the lake - brilliant - going down to B St M in the dark was a) not quick B)b- tricky by headtorch - camped about 1am - still one of the best rides I have done - and the most memorable - went back 2 years later and camped at Beufort to ensure that I got to see the down bit

Edit - having refreshed my memory Re Madelaine I also have the dubious honour of having decended most of the way into Le Chambe in the dark as well

Attachments

• Col Mad Igor.JPG
    Col Mad Igor.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 38

dragon72

Guru
I think my fave has to be La Bonnette - not just because it's the biggest but because the views are phenomenal.
I also really liked the Soulor followed by the Aubisque in the Pyrenees, and the Ballon d'Alsace in the Vosges.
Ditchling Beacon's fun too (if only pocket size compare with the continental monsters)

dodgy

So whats your favorite col / mountain climb and why?

Mine is the col de la madeleine from le chambre. Not to severe apart from a small section in the middle, great road and amazing views from the top and for that matter on the way up. Its also not that crowded unlike some.

I'm a relative newcomer to Alpine cycling/col bagging. But having just returned from the Alps on holiday, I can say that the Col de Joux Plane is completely stunning. The views from the top are breathtaking. First 2km or so is very steep, then it levels slightly (by alpine standards) and at the top there is a nice cooling lake for paddling and an excellent summit cafe (in fact there is another cafe a little further on by the ski lifts). I went up from Samoens side and it's a Hors category climb.

I also rode the Colombiere last week, that was very long but it didn't have that certain something that the Joux Plane did.

Fiona N

Veteran
The Gotthard from Airolo (Switzerland) will live in my memory as I've ridden it so many times - in training with my old club as well as in races. The cobbles for the first three kms or so make the experience memorable when combined with the overall gradient (ca. 8% over 11km) and the atmospheric approach to the summit through the tunnel/avalanche shelters.

For superb scenery and a testing ride, the 20km of the Lukmanier from Disentis takes some beating - and there's a 40km descent to Biasca from the top which has to be my favourite descent.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
blue-left-arrow.gif

Top Bottom