Favourite aromas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Does a smell/aroma suddenly spark a memory? I occasionally smell something & I immediately get a spark of a memory, sometimes I can't place it but find myself smiling at a memory I can't quite grasp.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Fresh out of the oven pizza 🍕

presta

Guru
First rain after a prolonged dry spell
Petrichor.
Does a smell/aroma suddenly spark a memory? I occasionally smell something & I immediately get a spark of a memory, sometimes I can't place it but find myself smiling at a memory I can't quite grasp.
Walking down the street, I passed a woman whose perfume instantly reminded me of a girl I had the hots for 30-odd years previously at school.
Sparking emotions linked to a memory, but not the memory itself is something that commonly happens to me with music.
Bacon (in the cooking or recently cooked state - preferably by way of frying)
By the time I've finished cooking a meal and sit down to eat it, I can't smell it anymore. Such is the power of habituation. What's really weird though is that when I come downstairs the following morning I can smell the dinner very strongly in rooms where it never went, but not at all in the rooms where I cooked it and ate it.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Working in fire protection used to take me to a farm where fresh tobacco leaves were drying. That smell was absolutely incredibly delicious. Nothing like stinky cigarettes, of which I have no interest.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
The smell of the wind off the ocean, followed later by the coating of salt on your lips, and perhaps even caught up in your eyebrows.

I also like the smell of a bay, stinky with dead crabs, fish, etc. This one really brings back memories of when I was a kid spending summers by the sea & bay. Possibly a couple of my favorite all time aromas due to the connection with memories.

PS: my wife HATES that one! 😂

Reactions: JtB

markemark

Über Member
How about an outside grill filled with charcoal, doused with starter fluid and fired up. Though maybe not the healthiest aroma, that is one that says something good is sure to follow.

No, no, no. The smell and chemical taste from starter fluid on a bbq is disgusting. Not for the green credentials (although it is a bonus), use a natural firelighter and your food will taste much better. If you struggle to light it without nasty chemicals then I recommend a chimney.

Slick

Guru
What about the smell from a 2 stroke?
Ah, that did bring back a memory of my 17 year old self with a brand new RG 125 Gamma firing it up on a frosty evening and you could smell the 2 stroke being burnt in a lovely new engine. Wow, I cam actually smell that and my cool as fcuk leather jacket that all the chicks loved. Obviously :laugh:

Top Bottom