Favourite bits of stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magna

What are your favourite bits of touring gear and why? I've never been materialistic but find myself attracted to so much bike/camping gear at the mo.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My favourite thing for my bike is a little widget that converts presta valves to schraeder ones. I know it's a humble little thing but it's changed my world, I adore it!!!

On a more touring theme...Assos cream...makes every morning worth getting up for ;)

Bigtallfatbloke

My favourite thing for my bike is a little widget that converts presta valves to schraeder ones

Cathryn where can I get such a lifesaving gizmo? I am fed up with those Presta valves ripping my tubes. Ta

...I like all my gear:
Dawes Galaxy
Brookes B17 Champion
Shimano spds
Carradice overlander Panniers and bar bag
Decathlon ultra lite T2 pro tent
Schwalbe marathon + tyres (the fitting was a pig though)
Gore wind stopper longs
Nike walkable road shoes
Altura night vision jacket
Dhb waterproof trousers
Dhb base layer
Aldi jacket
Aldi gloves
Trangia 27 cookset
Air mat
Blacks xxl sleep bag
Topeak mini morph pump
Halfords track pump
Specialized saddlebag
and some othe rstuff I forget I have...

...my next purchase will be a gps set up like Brocks got.

friedel

We have a lot of favourites but perhaps at the top of the list is our Roberts SW radio. I know not everyone wants to keep up with the news on tour, but for us on a long trip it's essential and the Roberts radio has never let us down. We almost always manage to get reception on it, even in hotel rooms, and it runs forever on two AA batteries. We got it for 15 quid barely used on eBay!

Gotta mention the Ortlieb panniers too, 21000km and they're still as good as the day we bought them. The Hilleberg tent gets the thumb up for similar reasons.

Oh, and our Merino Wool socks. You can wear them for 3+ days and they don't feel grotty. We don't want to wear anything else. Anything Merino wool is worth the investment.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Cathryn where can I get such a lifesaving gizmo? I am fed up with those Presta valves ripping my tubes. Ta

Got mine at my local Edinburgh Bike shop. I'm heading up there next weekend if a top i've ordered comes in. Do you want me to get you one? PM me if so.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:

You might be disappointed. The widget screws onto the end of a presta valve to allow the use of pumps that have schrader only adapters. They will not affect your ability to shred innertubes. The valve is still a presta valve albeit a longer one.

The gizmos can be bought from most bike shops. I bought one to replace the one that I lost from my track pump. They cost a couple of quid.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Magna said:
What are your favourite bits of touring gear and why? I've never been materialistic but find myself attracted to so much bike/camping gear at the mo.

A radio - some thing to listen to just before nodding off to sleep.
A thermarest - greatest comfort improvement in my 30 years of camping
A trangia - foolproof and windproof cooking tool

Bigtallfatbloke

Thankyou for the offer Cathryn I appreciate it...however Vernons comments make sense so I dont think it will solve my problem. Thanks again.

Definitely my collapsible bucket. It makes a huge difference to the quality of life when we are camping.

Bigtallfatbloke

I got a mini (palm sized) Digital tv for Christmas...it has a 4 hour battery life ...i'm looking forward to using it on tour this year. The picture I get at home via the supplied mini antenna is stunningly sharp. I suppose I will only use it for the weather and news etc as well mostly. It also has lots of digital radio stations.

P.H

Über Member
Jetboil, so quick and easy to brew up I use it far more than I used to use a stove. Used it yesterday while another rider fixed a puncture, tea was ready by the time the tyre was off.

just jim

My fleecy neckerchief thing for those wet/windy descents. it also doubles up as a vital pillow constituent, so it really "saves my neck". Heheh..heh...hmm.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Swiss Army knife. Anything that will get you into any known food or alcohol container is worth it's weight in gold, let alone a tenner.
OS maps are truly a thing of beauty. Really, they are.
The humble bungee. Lost without them.
The Logis de France website.
And finally but most importantly, long downhill roads with a tailwind, through stunning scenery with good company. The road down the west bank of the Rhone is a good one. Not too busy, enough villages to keep you fed and watered, wined and dined, and goes past the Cote Roti, Crozes-Hermitage, Chateauneuf du Papes and down towards Mont Ventoux. Utter bliss.:wacko:
*goes to pack. If only...*

Top Bottom