Favourite book

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Hard to narrow that one down.

A few favourites:
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
The Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham
Wind, Sand & Stars by Antoine de St Exupery
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
Joy inThe Morning by P. G. Wodehouse

All very different, but ones I read over and over

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
The Making Of The Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes.

An utterly fascinating insight into the nature of scientific endeavour on the one hand, and how frightening a period of history we've lived through on the other.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
My reading mojo hasn't been around for a while but I read The Crimson Petal and the White when I was in Australia and was utterly bereft when it finished. I still miss it now 18 months on.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The Wind in the Willows.

Yeah, it's a 'kid's book', but it's got some beautiful passages evoking the loveliness of the English countryside, as well as some ripping good adventure, and some lovely character traits. I can read it over and over, and even now, I find a new gem I never quite noticed before.

I've got two English editions (they must be the EH Shepherd drawings), and one in French!

Davidc

Guru
Alice in Wonderland.

I loved it as a child and go back and read it every so often when I get the call.

Not so keen on Through The Looking Glass though.

It comes just above Arch's selection in my all time favourites. I don't view either as a childrens' book, just excellent tales, and I put Roald Dahl's George's Marvellous Medicine alongside them.

Doseone

Guru
Hard to narrow that one down.

A few favourites:
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
The Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham
Wind, Sand & Stars by Antoine de St Exupery
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
Joy inThe Morning by P. G. Wodehouse

All very different, but ones I read over and over

Agree with you on Cannery Row. Some of the best characters you'll ever meet.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I love Papillon but can't believe Catch 22 hasn't been mentioned yet as it's often a favourite of many people and I'm one of them. I honestly feel jealous of those who haven't yet read it as the first time is yet to come and it's all excellent stuff. It's one of those books you can read in any order and not necessarily from page one to the end but you can pick it up and read any chapter in any context as it isn't a typically linear story. It's wonderful stuff and a real classic to know.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
but can't believe Catch 22 hasn't been mentioned yet as it's often a favourite of many people and I'm one of them. I honestly feel jealous of those who haven't yet read it as the first time is yet to come and it's all excellent stuff. It's one of those books you can read in any order and not necessarily from page one to the end but you can pick it up and read any chapter in any context as it isn't a typically linear story. It's wonderful stuff and a real classic to know.

I have a secondhand copy up the stairs waiting to be read, thanks for the reminder!!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Arthur Miller's only novel, Focus.

It deals with antisemitism in a very imaginative way and highlights the irrational ways that folk reach conclusions about race and creed.

I haven't got one particular favourite book; I have quite a few books that I really enjoy.

I personally would recommend the 'The Night Watch' books by Sergei Lukyanenko. I can't wait for the 5th book to be translated into English. It's set in Moscow and is all about people with supernatural powers.

Edward Rutherfurd is another author that I enjoy. Years ago I read his first novel 'Sarum' and couldn't put it down. I'm currently reading another of his novels 'The Forest'. I don't think it's as good as his first novel but still enjoyable. I'm planning to get on ebay in the next few days and buying some of his books.

If you like time travel stories I'd recommend the 'Time Police' trilogy by Warren Norwood.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
The Wind in the Willows.

Yeah, it's a 'kid's book', but it's got some beautiful passages evoking the loveliness of the English countryside, as well as some ripping good adventure, and some lovely character traits. I can read it over and over, and even now, I find a new gem I never quite noticed before.

I've got two English editions (they must be the EH Shepherd drawings), and one in French!
Winnie the Pooh too!!!!

Top Bottom