Favourite cafes, tearooms, and quaility purveyors of roadside cake...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
One of my personal favourites has to be the Post Office/Cafe at the Bridge of Balgie, Glen Lyon, Perth and Kinross. A welcome stop before I made the ascent over the shoulder of Ben Lawers during a tour of the Highlands. The pistachio and almond cake was the stuff of legends!

Attachments

• bridge of.jpg
    bridge of.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 39
  • bridge of.jpg
    bridge of.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 28
  • bridge of.jpg
    bridge of.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 29
  • bridge of.jpg
    bridge of.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
dunno quite how I managed 4 of the same photo (newbie) :blush:

carolonabike

Capheaton tea rooms, in Capheaton. Sandwiches, soup etc and fabulous homemade cakes by the lovely WI ladies. All the money raised goes to the village, and in the winter a huge solid fuel stove in the corner to warm your toes and dry your shoes.

Sandra6

Veteran
It's not exactly roadside, but if you're passing through Carlisle you should check out Fox's cafe on Abbey street (behind Tullie house museum) They'll even let you take your bike inside.

'Dunnies' (really the 'Wharfedale View Cafe')
Bridge Street at Otley

Cheap, nothing fancy, formica tables, collect your own cutlery/bread & butter
However, it's good solid food!!!

Example;
Meat & Potato Pie (made in baking trays - not those silly little things in individual foils)
Chip (proper potatos - not french fries, or frozen
Peas
Pint of tea
Rhubarb Crumble & Custart

All for less than £4.00!!!!! can't go wrong

Even in the depths of winter, you queue up to sit inside
Heck!!, in summer, you have to queue to sit outside!!!!

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Danbury tea rooms in Danbury on the road from Chelmsford to Malden.

To twee for words, outside seating and a duck pond, bit pricey but have an awsome cholce of CAKE or a cream tea :tongue:

ASC1951

Guru
'Dunnies' (really the 'Wharfedale View Cafe')
Bridge Street at Otley
However, it's good solid food!!!
+1. But unfortunately it's only ten miles from home, so if I kept calling in there I would be completely spherical. Er, actually...:blush:

Instead I recommend:-
- the White Horse cafe in the market square in Thirsk. Next to their chippie, so that's what they do best, but always sparkly clean with lots of good cycling fodder;
- the tea rooms in the market square in Masham. There are lots of them, but I mean the one at the far end of the terrace, next to the market stalls. Great big wedges of cake!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The tea room at Tintern Station in the Wye Valley.

Fantastic cakes. Portion size is generous.

It's almost worth doing a JOGLE or LEJOG or LEJOGLE to pay them a visit.

:hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

U

User482

The tea room at Tintern Station in the Wye Valley.

Fantastic cakes. Portion size is generous.

It's almost worth doing a JOGLE or LEJOG or LEJOGLE to pay them a visit.

:hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

Speaking of LEJOG, the A82 route takes you past the Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum. Epic portions of fish & chips and great pies. All locally sourced. Just the job before you start the big climb!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A mate and I stumbled across Poppy's tea shop while cycling through Thaxted in Essex (en-route to Dunmow), on the hottest day of the year a week or so ago. I don't know if it was the heat, exhaustion from the ride or what, but that has to be the best cuppa I've ever drunk! Had about 4 pots in the end. Good grub too and not pricey.

The place is tucked away up a side street and is easily missed (so huge thanks to the nice Thaxted tourist information lady) for pointing it out. I would definately recommend the place.

Top Bottom