Favourite classical music...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
...for reading

Not seen a classical music thread anywhere, so thought I'd see if I could kick one off, which is hugely motivated by my reading habits, as I like to drown everything out with best of classical mixes on You Tube (love a bit of philosophy, quantum physics, psychology, biology and theology...and it's enough to make my head spin).

I've generally been clicking on whatever comes up as recommended and, though I've come to love a lot of it, I generally find piano pieces to be the most soothing for a read. My favorites to get my braincells ticking in what appears to be the right order are Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Satie, Chopin or Gershwin.

Any suggestions to help get the juices flowing? Any suggestions for anything else are welcome as well, I guess...

runner

Guru
Bach: six french suites played by Joanna Macgregor. I often read to this wonderful collection and I find her interpretation so soothing. I suffer from migraine headaches and find this particular album a great help to listen to at a soft volume...She played at Bath Classical Musical Festival some 3 years ago and unfortunately I missed but I am sure she is wonderful live.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So we're going cultured now are we...?

Mozzers requiem
I also like Nimrod done by the Grimethorpe colliery brass band (it's on my ipad) not sure if it's considered "classical"

A bit of Vaughan Williams and lots of stuff I don't know the names of.

Ganymede

Veteran
John Dowland lute music played by Julian Bream. Lovely.

I actually find it quite hard to do anything else when classical music is on (except possibly dancing!). So I tend to separate listening and reading, though sometimes there is something on the radio. I find that anything after Beethoven especially is just too interesting to be background music, so I won't recommend my orchestral faves! Probably why I find earlier chamber pieces are best for relaxing to - they were often written to be played "in a chamber" ie as sort of private background music.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I love the cello too - it may stem from my daughter learning as a child, and then listening to her play with the Blues & Royals when she was all growed up!
I may add that she played clarinet and trumpet whilst mounted, and the cello for the orchestra :laugh:

Msn Snook.jpg Holly .jpg

Ganymede

Veteran
I love the cello too - it may stem from my daughter learning as a child, and then listening to her play with the Blues & Royals when she was all growed up!
I may add that she played clarinet and trumpet whilst mounted, and the cello for the orchestra :laugh:

View attachment 81392 View attachment 81393
Wow! What an impressive young woman! Although I know I'm not the only one who now wants to see her playing the cello on horseback...

Ganymede

Veteran
I have music on most of the time when I'm working at home - even bought a new stereo recently for my home office...

I'm a bit of an early Renaissance aficionado so it will generally be something from that period or something from the Moorish and Sephardic traditions. If I have to really concentrate on something, I find either plainchant or chant from the Eastern Rite is great for getting my mind in gear.

At the moment I've got the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom chanted by the Romeiko Ensemble on.
I know we're supposed to be recommending to Turbo Rider, but you might like this lot, User: http://www.joglaresa.com/listen.htm They do a lot of North-African influenced stuff, some quite jolly, some very moving.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Wow! What an impressive young woman! Although I know I'm not the only one who now wants to see her playing the cello on horseback...
Which is why I added she plays cello in the orchestra :laugh:
I believe Prince Philip made that joke to her once at Buckingham Palace when the band were playing at Investitures...

Top Bottom