Favourite (lesser known) incidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Can anyone help? A few years ago a leading rider went off the road into the side, then crashed on a roundabout, was caught and then won the sprint - who was the rider and race please?

If you have any lesser known favourite moments/things you have seen, maybe post them here?!

Astana rider. In one of the lesser classics I think ?

T4tomo

Guru
Steve Cummins stonking past Pinot and Bardet in 2015 TdeF in the final Km was awesome, not sure if that is greater or lesser known.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Crit round an industrial estate in the 90s, organised by my club. Two riders sprinted together for a prime. One's pedal went into the front wheel of the other rider, there was a p-p-pring-ng as the spokes were torn out, his wheel collapsed, and he slid face-down along the road at speed. Following riders managed to go round rather than over him. He lay there motionless for a while, then we peeled him off the tarmac and he sat & watched the rest of the race.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
My personal favourite, of all time, must me Mike Rogers on stage 5 of the 2002 Tour Down Under.

He got in an incident with a motorbike, smashed his RD, stopped at the side of the road an chucked the bike against the tarmac in anger. Then, got on a bike from a spectator, carried on, and ended up winning the GC.

Legend.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
He got in an incident with a motorbike, smashed his RD, stopped at the side of the road an chucked the bike against the tarmac in anger. Then, got on a bike from a spectator, carried on, and ended up winning the GC.
There's a similar - but more widely known (so maybe not right for this thread) - story of Jens Voigt chasing the peloton in the Tour de France on a child-sized bike with toe-clips.
1684152189011.png

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4...-Tour-de-France-with-help-from-kids-bike.aspx

Last edited:
Top Bottom