Favourite recumbent and why

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuckinthemud

Regular
I am trying to design the frame for a DIY recumbent project but I am not in a position to try out any bikes for myself (family plus work means too little time). To help narrow down my choices, what are your favourite recumbents and what is it that makes them special? Thank you for your thoughts
Andrew

Last edited:
The Kingcycle is a great bike, probably my favourite, and the frame looks pretty easy to construct; two straight longish spars; i had thought you could actually use bamboo ...The bike is light and fast and simple.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've owned three recumbent bikes - a Bentech, a Pashley PDQ and now an HPV Streetmachine.
Of the three, I like the Streetmachine the best. It's the easiest and least 'twitchy' to ride, the seat is comfy, it's fairly light (for a touring 'bent anyway), and the suspension gives it a very smooth, plush ride. I like the underseat steering arrangement, and I like that on the Streetmachine, there's no need for a linkage (as there is on the Bentech and on some other underseat steering, short wheelbase recumbents).

a.twiddler

Veteran
This is quite a tall order, as you get to know what you like by trying bikes. I'm fairly new to recumbents, about 2 years now, but I can give you my experience.

A couple of years ago I bought an Iowa Linear LWB because my lowish offer on a fairly local sale was accepted. I'd never had a chance to ride a recumbent before and it was a steep learning curve, but I came to like it a lot. It's an aluminium framed tourer with under seat steering, a 20" front and 700C rear. There are no chain tubes or tensioners apart from the rear derailleur. It's extremely adjustable, the previous owner being a lot bigger than me, but as the seat, steering block and bottom bracket block are all adjustable it can be made to fit just about anyone. It's a good feeling piloting this 88" long thing through narrow gaps and turning round in narrow lanes. I probably had a happy accident here, as the main issue with many recumbents is that they are likely to be too big for me. I've had issues getting an upright bike that fitted well in the past, and in the limited recumbent market that applies with knobs on. I would like to try one of the current Linears with disc brakes, but doubt that there are any in the UK.

I fancied trying a SWB and last year acquired a Dawes Low Rider. Well, it was certainly low, but my erroneous assumption that a low seat would equal a boom length adjustable for shorties bit me in the backside. By fitting shorter cranks and using a kneeling mat on the seat back it's manageable but it's not given me the confidence to ride it the distances I've done on the Linear. It rides well, is very manoevreable with no heel strike issues and the roller brakes give good braking with the weight distribution being well balanced between the two wheels. It has chain tubes which feel rather draggy and noisy compared to the near silence of the Linear, plus a tensioner. On balance, though it feels stable at speed, the LWB feels more planted. Perhaps this is due to my personal bias towards under seat steering, but the riser bars on this bike didn't inspire me until I fitted a set of Humpert Englischer bars which feel really good by comparison.

At the end of last year I had the opportunity to buy a recumbent delta trike, something which I hadn't planned. It's a Sinner Comfort in a very small frame size which happens to fit me. I sat on it, the under seat steering fell to hand and after a bit of time convincing myself, it just had to be. I rationalised that when I eventually get too decrepit to ride my bikes, I could still ride this. Not strictly relevant to building your own bike, too many wheels, but it just shows how one aspect, in this case the under seat steering, can make or break how a bike feels.

So, take your pick, LWB, SWB, USS, OSS, rear wheel drive, front wheel drive. It just might be worth taking the plunge if you are of average height to buy something cheap and cheerful and see how you get on with it before diving in and making something yourself.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Nazca Fuego semi-low rider.
Steel frame, rear suspension, Medium and Large frame and seat sizes.
A great all-rounder with various steering options too.

My first 'bent and took a wee while to get used to it but thereafter – love it. :wub:
Not so good for tight, low speed turns, with heel strike on front wheel an issue but other wise no real issues.

grldtnr

Nazca Fuego semi-low rider.
Steel frame, rear suspension, Medium and Large frame and seat sizes.
A great all-rounder with various steering options too.

My first 'bent and took a wee while to get used to it but thereafter – love it. :wub:
Not so good for tight, low speed turns, with heel strike on front wheel an issue but other wise no real issues.

The answer is D-tek, based in the Cambridgeshire fens, look up his number or e- mail him thing is Kevin Dunsheath is hard to contact, but his knowledge is unparalleled.
He might see this, sometimes posts as Mr Magoo

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I’ve ridden….

Azub Origami
Azub Ti Fly 20/20/20
ICE Adventure 20/20/26
ICE VTX+
Nazca Fuego
Schlitter Encore

Some minor negatives but overwhelming positives with them all. Of the above I own an Azub TiFly. If space permitted, I would own them all, and possibly more (especially a Velomobile) :okay:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The answer is D-tek, based in the Cambridgeshire fens, look up his number or e- mail him thing is Kevin Dunsheath is hard to contact, but his knowledge is unparalleled.
He might see this, sometimes posts as Mr Magoo

Eh ??? :scratch:
Maybe you didn't actually mean to be quoting my post – which was purely in response to the OP ... :whistle:

OP
OP
S

stuckinthemud

Regular
That’s the problem. I don’t know what I want. Python’s look cool, but so do low racers, I love riding an ICE trike but it’s too heavy, I imagine a narrow delta could make a fun commuter but a chap rides past me every now and then on a linear and looks very at peace with his journey. I don’t really want to steer this thread, just want to see what people think makes a decent recumbent, see if there’s any kind of consensus. I expect to find there isn’t but it should be a fun thread

grldtnr

I think with regard to recumbents, there are so many different designs, that there are as many opinions, there won't be a consensus , you will need to ride a bag full before you could form your own.
Upwrongs tend to follow a set of rules ,with many having like qualities.
Try before you buy, or in your case ,build, so you want something that feels like it can go down a drain, or a load lugging cargo bike, or a relaxed long distance tourer, ultimately it's only what you can decide

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well for me it needs to be agile and feel like I’m piloting a fighter jet, not a Lancaster bomber. I need to feel like I’m sitting in the bike, not on the bike. it needs to be stable and balanced when riding at slow speeds, for instance up steep uphills. It also needs to be fairly smooth at high speeds downhill even with the fast steering that comes with agility. It needs to be able to absorb rough roads without the weight of suspension. It needs to be practical, thus ability to fit mudguards, carry water bottles, a pump, and a rack if I’m touring. My preference is above seat steering with sufficient space to fit a GPS, a small bell, a mirror. I need to be able to fit standard front and rear lights as I often ride at night. The front light needs to have a mount ahead of the feet so I don’t get foot flash. It needs to be around touring bike weight with the above setup or a medium weight road bike if I strip off mudguards etc. It needs to be able to take at least 32mm tyres with mudguards. It needs a smaller front wheel (406 / 20”) because I don’t like how high my feet / are (or riding position) on high racers. It needs to be more upright so that when I roll up to a junction I don’t necessarily need to stop because I am so laid back I can’t see if it is clear. It needs to have practical luggage options and not just for when I’m touring. It needs to be a relatively short length so that I can fit it into the bike cupboards on long distance trains or carry it in my car.

Above all it needs to be a recumbent that brings a smile to my face and demands that I ride it. I shouldn’t be thinking I’ll take another bike as the route I have in mind has hills.

There you go, some things to think about.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
So when this mythical bike is invented with technology that will materialise in the distant future you will be able to make any bike fit you as you can with the average car, with no tools needed, as soon as you get on.

By selecting the mode switch you can raise or lower the seat and shorten the wheelbase for sporty riding, with tiller steering if desired. For dealing with traffic the seat will rise and the bars will become wider so you can improve your visibility and for poor surfaces your wheels will become bigger. For longer trips the wheelbase will get longer but when manoevreing the length will shrink yet somehow there will be no heel strike. It will be immensely strong but flexible so that even the potholes of the future will be shrugged off with no suspension needed. It will have incredible built in lights. It will be feather light yet able to carry immense loads. Cars will bounce off it though accidents will be less likely as they will be self driving. It will have a self riding mode so you can arrange for it to pick you up after a night out, or take you home when you've had a skinful. If you are feeling lazy you can send it off to do your ride for you, and it will write it up and post it on "your ride today".

If the weather turns icy it will sprout spiked tyres and if really bad, an extra wheel. If it gets really really bad, it will order you a taxi home.

If you get a bit fed up with all the, usually friendly, attention that a recumbent attracts, you can select invisibility mode. You won't want to use this for long periods as you might as well be riding an upright bike what with with close overtakes, instructions to use the bike lane, pay yer bleedin' road tax mate, and get insured like the rest of us etc. The de luxe model might have an Increase Road Presence mode so you can get your own back by looking like a recumbent rider, only more so than usual, with other road users giving you even more room and consideration.

Top Bottom