Favourite wildlife spotted whilst commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Should start by saying ive always loved and mostly lived in the countryside, so always had a keen eye for wildlife, but you still get surprises.

Red Kite abound on my ride once into Northants..not unusual to see 10 or so in one day. Love em. never saw one till i was in my late 40s. Towards Oundle, i turned a corner on a country road and saw two of them sitting in a tree about 30 yards away.

Saw an Osprey in trees last year on a ride near Wansford...unmistakeable and remarkable sight. Only ever seen them nesting at Rutland Water and once flying high overhead toward the Nene washes.

Again near Wansford, i was riding along, and its one of those moments when you register something but dont see it...:thumbsup: i saw an eye :biggrin:
I turned round and there was a young one eyed Jay in the grass at the side of the road, the other eye was damaged. I stood and watched it for a few minutes (it just sat there bewildered) and rued the fact i hadnt got a camera ;).

Grass snakes not unusal.

Green Woodpecker abound around Peterborough, but saw a Lesser or Greater spotted woodpecker up towards Alconbury (Cambs) last year.

A herd of large deer towars Stamford on one ride. They ran along a hedge in front of me then crossed the road a few hundred yards in front. Lovely sight.

Night ride (i told this one before)..good lights on a dark country road and this shape loomed into the edge of the light...:biggrin:. I was fairly licking along and had no time to react. I found myself shouting 'fcuuuuk offfff' at it, not knowing what it was, fearing i was going to hit it. Badger of course :biggrin:

Rode for several hundred yards alongside a Barn Owl one evening.....fabulous. Saw him dead on the road a couple weeks later :sad:

Then there's the things you see...that are'nt there really.
Wansford to Peterborough, young field of corn, all green and swaying in the wind.... I can see this thing movong near the edge some distance off. its a huge black cat :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: Fcuk me, it must be a puma :ohmy::ohmy: IMy eyes were rivetted as i rode along....till i realised it was just the way the green shoots were moving in the wind :biggrin:

The countrysides rich with wildlife here....i could go on...and on.

Top Bottom