Favourite wildlife spotted whilst commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not an astounding "spot" but I had a fantastic ride along side a pigeon in Hyde park a while back. It came at me from the left and flew along for a hundred feet or so at the same level as my face...I felt a bit like David Attenborough.

brickisred

jonny jeez said:
Not an astounding "spot" but I had a fantastic ride along side a pigeon in Hyde park a while back. It came at me from the left and flew along for a hundred feet or so at the same level as my face...I felt a bit like David Attenborough.

Or Dick Dastardly!

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I often see deer, pheasants, rabbits. And foxes and badgers when i'm cycling at night. If i cycle down a particular lane there's one house which has their chickens running free outside and often have to swerve out of their way. And the other day i had a red kite hovering overhead.

jay

Cycling in the city I've got so used to seeing rats in broad daylight by the side of the road I was so surprised whilst I was staying with my parents, when I looked down to see a partridge running along side me I nearly fell off.

Other than that I've seen a few deer, foxes, an amazingly peeved looking badger and what I still believe to have been a pterodactyl, but possibly might not have been.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I've seen camels!!!! that was a bit of a shock ha ha. the circus was in town and they were looking over the fence at me :laugh:

any bird of prey that joins you while you cycle i think.

monnet

Guru
I've not seen much wildlife on my commute.

Highlights on clubruns/ leisure rides have been deer and once a pheasant running in front of me to launch it's take off (very scary as it was on a 40mph descent!)

On my commute this week though, I have seen a dead badger, a dead fox, a dead cat, a dead mouse and a dead pheasant. That's alot of dead animals.

I did once see a dead badger, on it's back, rigamortis set in with it's black and white snout just visible and, in my world of cycling daydreaming, think for a split second, 'Sh1t, a panda!'

I saw a rat next to me yesterday, I hate the damn things, absolute vermin menace. Wondered if it was possible to run him down, I could have but I decided to leave him alone.

You can easily match their speed on the bicycle.

Stephen-D

I see a lot of Wild Deer and Pheasants, one of the dumbest animals around (Pheasant), I see a lot of them dead by the road and I see a lot of live ones just standing around in the middle of the road looking directly at traffic as if trying to ascertain what’s coming towards them.

Ride of the dead at first tonight, four vehicle-impacted wood pigeons and a hen phesant which had been vulcanised into the tarmac of the B1040. I did see a heron, barn owl and hare, all alive (especially the hare, boy he was moving!).

D

Deleted member 1258

It was the big cock pheasant I wasn't impressed with this morning, it wandered out into the road saw me panicked and flew straight at my head, I had to duck under it. I have seen a lot of them over the time I have been doing Sunday runs, also rabbits, squirrels and birds. I have also occasionally seen foxes and muntjack deer. The birds I have heard on several occasions but never seen are woodpeckers, they make an impressive sound hammering on a tree.

dave r said:
The birds I have heard on several occasions but never seen are woodpeckers, they make an impressive sound hammering on a tree.

Funnily enough I saw one tonight as I was cycling in (forgot to say earlier) a green woodpecker, which flew ahead of me and alighted on a tree for a few seconds until he realised I was still coming along behind him, then he left. Whilst glancing up the drive of Willow Hall so see if I could see him, I was treated to the rear view of a gen-ew-ine metallic blue Lamborghini Countach Anniversary parked on the drive, I tried not to drool too much.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Can Romani people be described as wildlife?

Other notable spots have been a fox, a hare and some agrarian animals - horses, cows, sheep, etc

Top Bottom