Fazua Evation drive system and Bosch question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am going to step out of the chat, it does seem you would benefit from an e bike and the battery on the boardman is removable which would make it easier to cart up and down stairs if you have too .I dont know much about e bikes so i wish you luck in getting what you need .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just seen a Youtube video on the boardman bike and a guy is saying it's not a full on electric bike and only helps you up hills? Not sure what he's talking about if I'm honest. How can it be just an electric bike that helps you up hills and not a full on electric bike?

Pretty much any ebike will do what you want it to do (not very far, not very fast, no huge hills!)... The main question seems to be about getting it up and down the stairs.

The Boardman weighs 15.5 kg, but according to a review that I just read, 3.6 kg of that can be quickly removed (battery and motor - gears to bottom bracket stay in bike). Just under 12 kg probably wouldn't be too bad compared to the Giant Defy, depending on which version you have?

richtea

We have a Boardman and an Orbea (ebikemotion system like the Ribble). Both work on the flat too - not just up hills.

The Boardman is well made, the battery+motor is removable, and with the battery removed it's not noticeably heavier than your average bike - maybe an extra 1kg. Adding the battery+motor is noticeable if you're lifting up at an awkward angle or away from the body (force * distance and all that) so into a car, onto a roofrack, etc needs care and some strength. However, up stairs the lifting should be quite straightforward.

The ebikemotion-based bikes (Ribble, Orbea, Lapierre, etc) are also good quality, and slightly lighter (maybe 1kg less without spending a fortune on carbon), but you can't remove the battery.

The only word of caution against both of these is if your ride has properly steep hills (1-in-8 or steeper) then you'll still need to put a significant effort in = likely knee pain. I believe the Bosch-based bikes will work better up steep hills (more peak power?).

I haven't tried a Swytch, but for casual cycling, it looks like a simple and affordable system, with the limitation being the front wheel drive and the front-loaded weight (both battery and motor).

In terms of outlay you're paying something like £1200 extra over an equivalent non-ebike for the Boardman, Bosch & ebikemotion bikes - but you are getting a whole new bike of course. Selling your existing bike can soften the blow a little.
I wouldn't pay £1000 for the Swytch - that's just a headline price, not a realistic one, but £500 is tempting if you're not in a rush, especially if you're happy with your existing bike.

[Edit: I should say, both the Boardman and ebikemotion are game changers in terms of enjoying riding again, even though some people rubbish them for being lower power motors with smaller batteries. They give enough power in most situations, and plenty enough for 20 miles even at full power, which I doubt you'll need.]

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Just seen a Youtube video on the boardman bike and a guy is saying it's not a full on electric bike and only helps you up hills?

Not everything on YouTube is factual:smile:.

My Boardman is now over 2 years old, am doing 150-200 miles a month commuting on it. A while back I did LEJOG on a normal carbon Trek roadbike, and used various Carerra hybrid bike before.

The Fazua motor in the Boardman moves the game on though, it turns the bike into a proper car replacement. Conversions are fine, but the 'factory' built option for me is just more appealing. I love it, I've not been out on my unassisted road bike for 12 months now!!

I carry mine up one set of stairs everyday at work. The bike is just over 15kg on the scales without pedals, but with mudguards, D lock, lights etc its closer to 20kg. One armed carrying is OK, but two is sometimes needed.

52050337688_938358bf2d_c_d.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Just seen a Youtube video on the boardman bike and a guy is saying it's not a full on electric bike and only helps you up hills? Not sure what he's talking about if I'm honest. How can it be just an electric bike that helps you up hills and not a full on electric bike?

A bit misleading that. All ebikes can help on any terrain if you're under the cutoff speed.

Re carrying bike upstairs. All ebikes from high end models to conversion setups weigh significantly more than a standard pushbike. Motors weigh around 3-5kg, batteries 5-7kg. Expect any ebike to weigh 20kg or more upto 35kg for the beefy mtb tourer version

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Many e-road bikes weigh well under 20Kg! My alloy Tiagra equipped Orbea Gain weighs around 16kg ready for the road - bottle, tools etc. If you have deeper pockets a carbon framed better specced bike like a Ribble SLe will be around 2 -3 kg less, and the new (expensive!) Mahle X20 offerings from Wilier and Scott are even lighter., so heading down towards the 10 - 11kg level.

richtea

Youngoldbloke is quite right. If you are happy with the legal max of 250W and a relatively small battery (to give say 30 miles full power, 50-ish miles half power) then 15Kg is possible for under £2.5k.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Thanks for all the replies, but I have just hit on a bike that has great reviews and for the price it looks good. Even has a carbon belt instead of a chain. The battery is built into the frame, but it's still removable if need be according to some reviews.

https://www.tenways.com/products/cgo600

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks for all the replies, but I have just hit on a bike that has great reviews and for the price it looks good. Even has a carbon belt instead of a chain. The battery is built into the frame, but it's still removable if need be according to some reviews.

https://www.tenways.com/products/cgo600

I hadn't realised you wanted a single speed bike. Has good reviews - as an urban bike. The battery is removeable, but you wouldn't want to do it on a daily basis! After you've fitted pedals, saddle- pack, bottle cage etc it will be over 16kg.

Top Bottom