FD shifting issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAR1

My buddy just gave me a full campy set up from one of his Bianchis that I’ve set up on a custom built Comare Cycles 44.5mm. It’s a brand new Veloce 10 speed drive train with a Gran Compe ENE Ciclo 48/36 crankset and Veloce ergo shifters. My chain line is 47mm from center of seat tube to largest chainring, with 7.5mm chainring spacing.

Here’s my dilemma - Im having trouble tuning the front derailleur. I’ve followed every technique and trick in the book (it feels like) and I am unable to shift into the largest chainring under load. However, on my bike stand it shifts just fine when I set the low limit, cable tension, then shift 3 or 4 clicks and set the outer limit tension. Derailleur is set 1.5mm tight to the largest chainring. Sitting straight. The derailleur sits centered over both chainrings. No rubbing and shifts fine in the stand, BUT when I ride it on the street and shift the FD up the chain just rubs between the chainring and the derailleur. If I take some pressure off of the pedals, then the chain will catch and it shifts upward.

What is the issue here? What am I doing wrong? I have tried over setting the outer limit, and even that doesn’t work. The chain still wedges between the chainring and the cage and won’t grab the teeth. The only luck I’ve had is backing the outer limit screw entirely out and then over shifting off the side of the ring to get it to engage under load. The problem with that is that the chain will often derail and fall onto the crank arm.

FYI - this bike previously had full Campy Athena gear on it and was shifting perfectly, however I bought just the frame from the previous owner so I’m not sure how he had it set up to compare to now. Also, the bianchi was running this same setup, so I have to assume that this setup would work on this bike too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BAR1

Update - talked to friend who gave me the campy gear. He noted that the derailleur is made for a 52t chainring, that my Comare frame braze on is high up as well. I was able to get the correct distance between the cage and the ring, but the cage profile doesn’t follow the chainring which is leading to difficulty shifting.
On top of that he told me that with the vintage style cranks, ie ones without ramps/pins, you always need to ease up when shifting.
That said, I took it out in the garage, tuned the FD again to spec, tweaked the rear of the cage outward a bit, loosened the outer limit stop a bit, and now it shifts fine in most every gear. Just need to let up on pressure when pedaling.
This bike is for my girl, so if she gets more serious about riding I will pick up and nice crankset, something that fits the bill a bit better. Just wanted to update this thread for future readers.

raggydoll

Über Member
I agree. If it gets jammed when shifting under load sounds like the fd cage is slightly too low.
Raising it slightly should hopefully sort the issue.

Top Bottom