Fearing the worst in the alps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Recently i agreed to go to the alps for a cycling week of pain with some friends. Being of the portly kind i was always fearing the worst of riding alpine climbs at 16st+ on compact gearing.....

So i embarked on my first option. Customising my Ti by fitting a mtb front crank with 39/26 chainrings and a 11/32 cassette. For training on its going swimmingly well, getting up the 10%+ climbs here in south wales......

Then i found something that allowed me to do something completely different. I have in my arsenal a cannondale synapse hi mod disc, running a front compact and 11/32 cassette.....its light, agile, quick and very comfortable. BUT.....i struggle at 10%+ still.........enter the Wolf Tooth Lindarets Roadlink a little adaptor that goes between the derrauiler hanger and derrauiler which allows you to run upto a 40t cassette.

I will add pictures when it arrives and have rebuilt the dale, but a sit here today a more releived mamil knowing i have two more gears of 34/36 and 34/40......should i go into the red in the alps

Ps yes.....i could lose more weight and that is happening, but im still a shoot climber and will always struggle as the road points skyward

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The best thing you with the climbs is just take it easy and don't over exert yourself. Find a nice steady rhythm and just spin your way up. Stop to take rests and to take in the fantastic views and take in the fact you are actually cycling up a mountain. It's not a race (I think), so just enjoy the experience rather then trying to go for any Stava records or best times. Cycle at your own comfortable pace rather then at others, it's easy to fall into the competitive mindset, and you will suffer.

You will surprised at how quickly your body adapts to the fact that you are cycling up a lot of the time. It certainly surprised me when myself, @Trickedem and @rb58 climbed 36,000ft in 290 miles in 5 days (including one mountain, the Pico de Veleta which is a 30 mile climb of 11500ft) in the Spanish Sierra Nevada's. It was hard work no doubt, but damn well worth the effort. Beers were certainly a fine reward after each day.

Also remember, what goes up... must come down... :okay:

You will have a great time Jowwy, go and enjoy your cycling and I look forward to seeing some pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

The best thing you with the climbs is just take it easy and don't over exert yourself. Find a nice steady rhythm and just spin your way up. Stop to take rests and to take in the fantastic views and take in the fact you are actually cycling up a mountain. It's not a race (I think), so just enjoy the experience rather then trying to go for any Stava records or best times. Cycle at your own comfortable pace rather then at others, it's easy to fall into the competitive mindset, and you will suffer.

You will surprised at how quickly your body adapts to the fact that you are cycling up a lot of the time. It certainly surprised me when myself, @Trickedem and @rb58 climbed 36,000ft in 290 miles in 5 days (including one mountain, the Pico de Veleta which is a 30 mile climb of 11500ft) in the Spanish Sierra Nevada's. It was hard work no doubt, but damn well worth the effort. Beers were certainly a fine reward after each day.

Also remember, what goes up... must come down... :okay:

You will have a great time Jowwy, go and enjoy your cycling and I look forward to seeing some pictures.
And coming down with disc brakes is what i'm so looking forward too....................there will defo be pics

OP
OP
J

jowwy

IMG_0131.PNG
IMG_0130.PNG

Sheldon brown has it at 6.1mph at 90rpm

dodgy

I'm a poor climber, I get overtaken a lot up them. I'm also a regular visitor to the French Alps, for my first visit I was really nervous, the first ride I did right from my rented accommodation was about 300 yards before hitting the Col de Joux Plane, one of the most feared Alpine cols. Yes it was hard, but I realise now I'd worked myself up over it. I find certain UK climbs much, much harder than even HC category Alpine cols.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can you do 90rpm on a 10% hill? I think I'd be down in the 50's.
In 34/40 i should be able to...........but those lower gears are only there as a bailout option if needed. I'm hoping the 34/32 will be the lowest needed, but time will tell

Kajjal

Guru
Choose the right gears for where you go and enjoy the riding.

Only real men get the extreme experience of powering 16 stone + up the Alps. These 10 stone whippets are whimps and their endless moaning hurts my ears :smile:

Have a great time !

MarkF

Guru
No.......and thats what i dont want to do

I am a not bad climber, you have to be one in West Yorkshire. When touring, if I drop to walking speed on a climb, I get off and push, it's a rest and when re-charged (minutes) I hop back on. Rather that than not enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom