Fecking HMRC.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The sun is shining :sun: my boss let us all go home early :thumbsup:

... back in 2008 I ceased being self employed because i wasn't making any money... today I received a letter from HMRC saying they'd over paid me working tax credits (WTC) by £765, asnd I have to pay it all back :eek: This can't be possible because when i ceased being self-employed and started full time employment in July 2008, my working tax credits stopped... so how the feck have i been over paid?

I rang up the mugging bastards to query it, and it turns out that because i didn't fill out a 'renewal' form for WTC at the end of that tax year (april 2009 i guess), I have to repay the entire claim for that tax year :eek:

Talking to HMRC is like talking to brick wall... my WTC just stopped when i started working... why on earth would i fill out a 'renewal' form for a claim i wasn't renewing... :cursing: I stated full time employment, WTC stopped and i thought that was that. Obviously not! :cursing: I now owe them 5 months worth of WTC amounting to £765 from April 2008 to August 2008, 4 months of those 5 I was most definitely entitled to, but that doesn't matter because I didn't fill out a fecking renewal form 9 months after I thought WTC was behind me.

They are sending me some forms to fill out so i can object and state my case... but that's not going to make any difference to the stubborn c*nts at HMRC.

Rant over, I'm spitting flames... so much for enjoying a sunny friday evening... i just want to get drunk and shout!!!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am doing battle with them at the moment as they say that I was self employed from April 2010 to date and I wasn't. I stopped being self employed at the beginning of april 2010 and only began new self employement on 4th August 2012. They want me to pay 300 per tax year missed. Not only did I phone them and tell them, I put it all in writing and personally delivered it to their office in Hanley, Staffordshire but the HMRC have no record of the letter.
Nobody has offered me forms to fill out because they lost a letter. Maybe I need to push harder. It seems to me that HMRC are right and everyone else just has to lump it.

Good luck with your case MV

snorri

Legendary Member
They are sending me some forms to fill out so i can object and state my case... but that's not going to make any difference to the stubborn c*nts at HMRC.
Don't call them *****yet.:smile:
I have to say I found them very reasonable after discovering my genuine error on one of their many form filling exercises.
Good luck:thumbsup:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It seems to me that HMRC are right and everyone else just has to lump it.

Good luck with your case MV

My heart goes out to you... for me, this is the latest in a series of muggings since i stopped being self employed ... but I aint got a leg to stand on as it all falls to my own ignorance... "of course you should have filled in the 'renewal' form for WTC, in spite of the fact you had no claim to renew" ... my case is already lost.

hope you have better luck Saluki :thumbsup: .

colly

Re member eR
Challenge it.
Take it far as you feel able or want to. Just because ONE bod at HMRC say something it doesn't mean another bod will say the same thing.
Tell them you will fill the form 'retrospectively' ^_^
Either that or tell them you did fill in a form (you DID didn't you? I mean it's easy to forget these things ) Maybe they have lost the original.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Taxation is theft.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Taxation is theft.

So you decline to be healed by the NHS, have the bullies kept away by GCHQ, the armed forces and the cops, be educated or all the various benefits you accrue from government action by living in the UK then. Maybe you should buy an island in the middle of the Pacific - oh wait global warming will sink it unless international agreements can be reached.

subaqua

What’s the point
it is a bonkers situation. we worked out that we would go over the threshold for being able to claim so filled out a form teling them that. we were told we would need to fill out the annual renewal form to not renew otherwise we would be assumed to still be wanting to claim it !! everything gets sent recorded delivery to HMRC .

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 2537340, member: 30090"]Sorry but you should have kept your affairs in order. My only gripe with your situation is that I'd like to see more of the same from HMRC with those where unpaid taxes run into the millions.[/quote]

It's the impenetrable nature of the Tax system and the downright incompetency at HMRC which are the biggest problems for us small people. HMRC really need to get organised properly. The unpaid tax millions also result from a lack of HMRC organisation as well as legal tax avoidance. To sort the latter the rules must be changed AND HMRC get orgainesd.

I'm more than happy to pay my fair share of tax... but this isn't about tax.

My earlier response was to Saddlebum's "Tax is Theft" response.

ASC1951

Guru
It's the impenetrable nature of the Tax system and the downright incompetency at HMRC which are the biggest problems for us small people. HMRC really need to get organised properly. The unpaid tax millions also result from a lack of HMRC organisation as well as legal tax avoidance. To sort the latter the rules must be changed AND HMRC get organised.
I have some sympathy with HMRC's performance. The current statutory tax rules run to 17,000 pages - 17,000 ffs - and I defy any organisation to administer that amount of detail consistently and effectively. Especially when it is changed every few months by some idiot politician wanting his 15 minutes of fame.

I've been self-employed all my career and my tax affairs are mildly complex, but I've always found HMRC fairly straightforward and helpful to deal with.

Top Bottom