Fecking...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Funny you say that..if you ever had to do the disc pads on a Lancia Beta..you'd be near suicidal ;)

Night Train

Maker of Things
gbb said:
Funny you say that..if you ever had to do the disc pads on a Lancia Beta..you'd be near suicidal :angry:
I had to do the disc pads on a Lancia Beta and weld the suspension top mounts back on to the inner wings. If I hadn't been near suicidal trying to do the job the owner would have been wanting to kill me for the cost!

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Keith Oates said:
Care and patience should solve the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just the front one. It rubs slightly some of the time and whistles a bit when doing this. I tuned the front and back and they actually work pretty well except for the slight rubbing on the front. Sometimes it goes away. I can stop it sometimes by giving the brake a quick squeeze but in time it comes back. Irritating:sad:.

stevenb

Night Train said:
I had to do the disc pads on a Lancia Beta and weld the suspension top mounts back on to the inner wings. If I hadn't been near suicidal trying to do the job the owner would have been wanting to kill me for the cost!

xx(...I take it this was when it was brand new and not more than 6 weeks old.:smile:
Boy did those things rust.:smile:
Mate had a Lancia Delta that was just made up of filler.:ohmy:

Disc brakes can be fiddly at times mate. But they are worth it for their stopping power.

PapaZita

Guru
Funtboy said:
They're mechanical. Avid BB5.

I've got BB7s, and had a similar sounding problem. Giving the brake a quick squeeze to quieten it sounds very familiar. I've mostly solved it by fiddling with the cable tension.

You would think that increasing the cable tension would move the pads towards the disc and make the rubbing worse. In fact, if I watch the gap while gradually increasing the tension from loose, I see the pads move *away* from the disc a small amount. Obviously if I keep tightening, they then move inwards as you would expect.

What I think must be happening is that the pads are a bit loose, and fall towards the disc. Tightening things up pushes the pads against the spring and forces them to square up against the piston, increasing the clearance.

It's only a small bit of extra clearance, but it has helped me to get quiet brakes. The other thing that helped was getting used to the lever feel, which is quite different to the calipers on my other bike, and learning that I could back the pads off a few clicks and still stop properly. The levers feel like they're about to hit the bars, but they don't.

PZ.

Top Bottom