1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fed up with the wind

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by chorlton, 30 Jun 2008.

1. chorlton

chorlton New Member

I'm fed up with the wind......sick of cycling home against it. Is it too much to ask for at least a month of gentle breezes?

Rant over :biggrin:

2. Absinthe Minded

Absinthe Minded Veteran

I agree, it's not on. You'd think someone would give us a break.

3. hackbike 6

hackbike 6 New Member

I must cut down on those beans.:biggrin:

4. ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot Secret Lemonade Drinker

You must have my luck, I go out on linear rides, 'there and back to see how far it is'. It amazes me that it can be a headwind on the way out, and a headwind on the way back too!!

5. hackbike 6

hackbike 6 New Member

That means someone is taking the p*ss.

6. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

I dont really mind it. As long as i know which way its going i am fine with it. It knocks the speed off slightly, but at the moment it isnt too bad here. When its really windy i hate side winds, i get blown about abit.

7. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

I'm quite happy with the wind when I'm on my bent and it comes to a bit of commuter racing. Nothing like stacking the odds in my favour, nooooo.

8. Batzman

Batzman New Member

I got lucky today... no wind on the way in... and a tailwind on the way home :tongue: ... got a PB (53mins/15-ish miles) on the way home too :wacko::biggrin::biggrin:

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

since getting drops and wearing close fitting cycle clothing I've gone from loathing headwinds to merely noticing them

I put in a bit more effort but more or less maintain the same speed

10. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I sympathise...but i've also found it's all about your mindset.

I used to hate the wind with a vengeance :tongue:. Nowadays, i seem more chilled about it...even in the 24mph winds, gusting to 47 mph two weeks ago...i just find a pace i can live with...dont try to beat it, you cant. Just find a pace and dont worry how slow it is....and the enjoy the tailwind on the way back.

On that day, i think i managed a top speed (downhill) of 15 mph :wacko:, and averaged about 10 mph :biggrin: on the outrun against the wind.

With the tailwind on the way home, i did several miles continuously a shade under 30 mph :biggrin:...and there was precious little difference in overall ride time compared with a windless day.

11. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

I wonder if that's an East Yorks thing ? i'm right on the coast & regularly set off heading west into a headwind, looking forward to an easy ride home, but returning down the same road it's often a headwind home too :tongue:

12. KINGCUTTER

KINGCUTTER Well-Known Member

My wife says she is having to put stones in her pockets to stop her being blown off,there is a joke in there i know it;).