Feeding and the day after a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nosaj

Hope I got the right place it was between this and the health and fitness bit.

I have been having a few issues lately and wondering if anyone can help. There may be an answer shouting at me but I am dammed if I can find it

I have recently swapped from more sedate CTC rides to club runs of similar distance 40-45 miles albeit the averages are different 12.50 -13 to 17-18mph. Sundays Club run saw me back indoors with a 17.2 average over 42 miles taking it easy on ride back home.

On the TT days I am fine but really suffer after a club run. During the club run, immediately post ride and for the rest of the day I am fine fuelling wise, my hunger is up a bit but I counter that by upping my clean carb intake the evening before, have a bowl of porridge and some dried fruit for breakfast, a couple of cereal bars as ride food and a post ride bit of cake. I also up my carb intake after and into the Sunday evening as well as adding in a whey protein shake (maybe two). I eat relatively clean generally (loads of fruit & veg, clean carbs protein and I am a 7 or 8 portions of fresh fruit & veg a day man). I go back to normal on the monday Carb wise but make sure my breakfast is porridge or a good helping of muesli.

The trouble comes on the Monday, where quite frankly I feel like I could blow away the bloke out of man vs food and quite easily feel like I could bankrupt an all you can eat buffet place in one sitting.

It does feel like my sugar levels have dropped to zero and I get all fuzzy headed. I have never sufferred with this before, which could mean I have some kind of virus/cold coming on or it could be overtraining but the cold / virus has not come out for the last three weeks and although I have also upped my cycling intensity I do not feel it is to the extent of overtraining. In addition to the above I also cycle on a MTB on the Saturday but its max 10 miles with the little un so that is very sedate and I do a spinning class one day as well.

I am not losing any weight in fact it feels the opposite so my food level must be OK.

boydj

Legendary Member
Your body will take some time to get used to the higher intensity levels. You seem to be taking in plenty of carbs. Are you sure you are rehydrating fully and replacing the electrolytes? It could be that the hunger your are feeling is actually a need for more fluid. In replacing the glycogen you have burned, the body needs a lot of water which is used in the storage of glycogen.

Top Bottom