Feeling smug....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
When the thunder woke me up in the morning and I looked out the window I was relieved I hadn't gotten into the Ride 100 thingy, and happy I rode yesterday and did Box Hill and Leith Hill in the sunshine last week.

Lincov

After the rain had finished I decided to pop out for a quick spin. After about a mile I decided that being blown all over the road and into oncoming traffic wasn't the safest, so turned back. So no ride for me this weekend :-(. We've been spoilt by the lovely summer.

OP
OP
Joshua Plumtree

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
How steep is Box Hill JDog? Like to give it a go sometime.

On the telly this afternoon, it seemed long and kind of spirally, but without having any really hideous gradients. Or is that just the pros making things look too easy again? :whistle:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
It's pretty steep. Much steeper than box hill. I'd guess 15-20% at the steepest bits. Maybe. I found it pretty tough.

The telly made that drag in Richmond Park look much steeper than i think it is. It's weird.

NorvernRob

because, seeing today's forecast, I made the decision to have a ride for a couple of hours yesterday instead. :sun:

Think I made the right choice. :rain:

Me too! I had a tailwind on the way out (headwind all the way back!), didn't really think much of it until I got home then saw I'd top 30'd almost every segment from home to the 8-9 mile mark, including 12th out of 600+ on one. On one 1.6 mile flat I averaged 24mph, and that included having to stop, unclip and wait behind stationary traffic because a tractor was in front and turning!

I was riding tempo and not pushing massively hard, makes me wonder what I would have done had I buried myself on the way out. (The way back would have been unpleasant though!).

What was really frustrating is that a target of mine for this year is to get below the hour mark for my 19.3 mile, 1,000ft of elevation training ride. I got home, stopped on the drive and took out my phone to stop strava - total elapsed time 1.00.09. Uploaded it, moving time 1.00.04 lol. Considering I had to stop at red lights (twice), roundabouts, junctions, behind the tractor and at a pedestrian crossing I think I was robbed! If I'd used the Garmin instead it would have been more like 58 minutes and 20+mph average.

Ah well, it was an enjoyable ride anyway!

http://www.strava.com/activities/177850147

Top Bottom