Fell off bike, landed on face!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miffy

Über Member
Oops! Have been commuting the 22 mile round trip to my work placement for the last couple of weeks, have really enjoyed it despite the dark nights and bad weather.. anyway today I decided to meet a friend for the ride home, thought we could lengthen it, stop for coffee etc. So about 30 minutes into our ride my bike just suddenly slid from under me, prob going about 14mph, and it seems the left side of my face took the brunt of the fall! :blink: Got a big swelling now, look like a hamster with a good food stash :eek: should have a nice bruise too.. Being as my placement is in a hospital i'll prob be in the best place next week :rolleyes: Is it better to get straight back into riding after a fall or give it a week or so? Feel ok apart from the face, don't want to be too apprehensive about cycling again. Its not my first fall, def. the worst though. Luckily we were right by a pub so a couple of co codamol and a pepsi later (me) and a strongbow (friend) felt good enough to complete the ride home. The bike seems ok too :rolleyes:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
as long as youre ok then get back on the bike mate :smile: .

OP
OP
M

Miffy

Über Member
Thankyou :smile: It looks to be ok, think it threw me off to save itself! Think it knows its got an accident prone owner :blush:

OP
OP
M

Miffy

Über Member
was a bit earlier than that, but so close to the seafront and mostly a good splattering of sand about. Few other cyclists about, the only one on the floor being me :sad: Maybe the warmer weather recently has made me a bit complacent, I will certainly be more careful now though! Also had an accident in a car about ten years back, car slid, ended up tipped over and sliding down the road, no obvious cause found.. hope these things don't come in threes :huh: Hopefully it will get a bit warmer again next week anyway.

tongskie01

this is what i'm scared of falling off an upright bike. i flew over the bars once and hurt my knee. i wasnt even fast cause im goin uphill. anyway a recumbent trike is a lot safer. falling off a low racer will probably give you road rash on your butt but not face. just based on experience mate.

are you at least going to get an x-ray? landing on your face and then having that much swelling is NOT good.
If you broke something you would know about it, it's one of the most painful injuries possible when you fracture something as all your turbinate bones are in your cheeks and nose, it's not something a few co-codamol would mask.

OP
OP
M

Miffy

Über Member
I don't think anything is broken, I am also a qualified veterinary nurse so I am not too bad with injuries, breaks etc, usually deal with slightly furrier species in that job tho! I will be back in the hospital tuesday (new career) so can always pop to A&E then but don't think it will be necessary, the swelling is going down now. Still pretty tender but nothing looks displaced. Was more worried about knocking my teeth as I have seven crowns (don't ask!) and didn't want to be damaging those! Looks like I have been lucky again, in fact was planning a little ride tomorrow (if its not too cold). Thankyou for the replies x Think the most colourful bruise will be coming up on my upper thigh but I won't impose a picture of that on anyone :blush:

Top Bottom