Fell off today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Were you using studded tyres at the time?

I don't want that to sound preachy - I'm just curious! :tongue:

Cant get studded tyres with the clearances i have, in fact i couldn't even get CX tyres on according to the LBS , so i run 23 mm slicks .

Nice bruise on the ribs now , i have some co-codamol left from when i sheared the rib muscles in the same place would you believe :sad:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Hope you are OK,nothing worse than an off in the ice

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That made me gag a little :sad:

Yup about 5 months ago i was lumping bags of soil and i felt a ping in my chest and over a week it got worse until i was at the doctors and i was told i had sheared the connective tissue that held the ribs together and was off work for a week with 2 weeks of pottering about .
It can still be a bit tender at times and i go land on the same spot ........

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Sorry to hear about your fall, hopefully you won't feel too stiff in the morning.

It's been mainly frost here rather than ice but I think I'll put the snow studs back on my hybrid for tomorrow to be on the safe side as I had a couple nervous moments today.

Good to hear the bike is ok too :biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
I came off this morning on a patch of black ice exactly halfway to work. I was doing 30km/h so I slid a short way on my backside. Got up and checked the bike over first which has a few scratches and a rip in the bar tape. My knee started swelling and I later found there was a small cut there - the bars must have hit it as I went down. Clothes were all fine though...thumbs up for Endura Gridlock clothing :thumbup: One lady slowed down in her car to see if I was alright and started sliding as well!

Rode the rest of the way to work with one foot clipped in, then went straight to the nurse (it helps to work at a surgery!) and got cleaned up then a tubigrip. Still wondering if the fact it was fixed might have exacerbated the twisted knee, as the pedals went round whilst naturally unclipping in the fall. Got to take a few days off riding so back to commuting in the car :thumbdown:

It's never nice crashing - hope you get back on the bike soon cyberknight. There's a thread on timetriallingforum about a chap who broke his femur on ice last week.

huttster

There's a lot of it about!Hit some black ice this morning on a corner in a quiet country lane,was just thinking how comfortable my new short stem and carbon seat post where when bang!bike slid out sideways and 14 1/2 stone of mamil hit the deck,was more worried about the bike so jumped up quick to check and had a cartoon moment of feet running but not moving and hit the deck again,should have known better as corner was only flooded the day before,only damage was scratched pedal and brake lever,oh!also my wrist and knee are killing me,bottom slightly sore after giraffe on ice moment but nothing too serious.
blush.gif
blush.gif
icon_smile_clown.gif

Attachments

• blush.gif
    blush.gif
    275 bytes · Views: 6

gbb

Legendary Member
Bad luck cyberknight..and all you others that took a tumble...i was with you.
Not commuting, but the frost seems to have caught us out. Ive fallen on ice only the twice before, but both times i kinda expected it. Yesterday i was on a long ride on a country road, SLIGHT frost on the verges. Thats what lulled me...without warning, i caught a split second glimpse of my front wheel going awry...BANG..straight down.
Hand sized graze to my hip, small lump out of my elbow, slightly damaged brand new jacket and longs, slightly damaged my saddle and bartape...and maybe exacerbated a BB problem, now the cranks have a fair wobble.

I was lucky, no traffic behind me...not too bad though, still managed to keep going for another 45 miles.:biggrin:

Funny how you (i) get blase about ice. I commute all year come snow, ice whatever....but my commutes on usually gritted city roads. The country roads caught me out.

avsd

Guru
You have my sympathy. I have decided to air on the side of caution and use the car from until the weather if at least 1C

Sheepy1209

Veteran
Another one here - had my first fall in thirty years this morning. Quite simply I didn't realise that the fog we had was freezing nor the effect it would have on the roads - turned left out of a side road and next thing I know I'm sliding across the carriageway - thankfully no traffic because it's closed at one end for roadworks. Car a little way behind stopped to check I was OK, which I was - a bit sore on my left leg, but my Vaude pannier seems to have acted a bit like an airbag and protected me and the bike - so thumbs up to Vaude!

Thought to myself - well, I know the ice is there now, I'll just be careful - my alternative transport is a motorbike so cycling seemed the better option. Until a mile down the road I started losing drive, and eventually lost it completely - the damn freehub is frozen up! So a long and slippery walk back home later I ended up on the motorbike anyway - got to work, but with icicles on my eyelashes because I had to keep my visor open.

Thankfully once on the main roads, and a bit later, the motorbike was OK - and the amount of congestion was enough to tell me that getting a car instead wouldn't be a great decision - there's always the bus.

david1701

I did too this morning, turned left out of the drive and went smack to the floor - ouch. Rode the rest of the way in fine but I was real gentle and went slow, need to pick that up a bit for the way home as it gets really cold when it gets dark :s

Top Bottom