Fell off today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Very icy this morning coming home .

Coming around a bend to a junction where i was turning left , no traffic so although i had slowed down i was still moving at a reasonable pace when i hit some black ice and i was on the deck before i knew what had happened,

Took the skin off my knee and the ribs are aching too :sad:

Bike seems ok though !:biggrin:

crumpetman

I had my first and only fall in the ice around Christmas time, you have my sympathy. Hope your knee and ribs are better soon.

subaqua

What’s the point
OOh sympathy for you, sounds like how i landed just before Christmas.

was a little wobbly coming onto towpath today but it held upright.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Glad your not too badly hurt and the bike is OK.

I Have some steep hills on my short commute,after a few slides(pure luck not to have fell) I have started using the car when the temp is likely to go below 0.

To be honest I just froze (no pun intended) when I last slid on ice. Didnt even think to unclip, luckilly the bike slid across and onto some unfrozen tarmac without any real help from me.

Glad the bike is ok and hope the ribs stop hurting quickly.

I was a bit shocked by the frost this morning, all this recent warm weather had me half expecting an early spring. I'll learn from your spill and carry on being be careful for a few more weeks.

asterix

Comrade Member
Naaarrssty and so easy to do.

Last time I came off there was so much ice that I just slid and wasn't grazed just battered. It was a wet road, but there was a sheet of ice forming under the rainfall. On getting back to my feet it was so icy I could hardly stay standing and needed the bike for support. Quite a while ago that was as I am very cautious now (touches wood hastily).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
boo to that.. not good. Glad you are ok.
Did the same last week.got some nice scabs on my knee and elbow to show for it. Along with ruined leg warmers and Montane Jacket.
angry.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nasty.

No frost in Manchester fortunately.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Ouch!

Even though nothing appears broken at the moment, remember that problems can surface after a period of time......

.....so make sure you get the bike checked over.;)

Seriously, the ribs might be worth a trip to the quacks.

darthpaul

I feel your pain! I fell off on black ice turning left at a junction on a country road this morning. Couple of bruises but fine other than that but all the car drivers at the junction who saw me fall off just drove by, not a single person asked if I was ok. Nice to know people are feeling the warm fuzzy humanity and care for others still.

oliglynn

Über Member
Had a few close calls this morning! Usually commute down untreated single-track roads, but have the alternative of a busier main road. I thought the single-tracks may be okay today, but they turned out to be pretty treacherous with black ice all over the place, especially after all the rain we had over the past couple of days! Headed back to the main road after almost losing it at a junction, and generally snaking and slipping all over the place!

BSRU

A Human Being
Had a few close calls this morning! Usually commute down untreated single-track roads, but have the alternative of a busier main road. I thought the single-tracks may be okay today, but they turned out to be pretty treacherous with black ice all over the place, especially after all the rain we had over the past couple of days! Headed back to the main road after almost losing it at a junction, and generally snaking and slipping all over the place!

Not too much ice this morning, switched to the Marathon Winters last night so no worries.
I reckon the investment was worth it as being abit of a "wuss" means I would have driven in instead.

Kaelyn

Regular
I fell off a couple of weeks ago on some black ice as well only a hundred metres or so from work, as I approached the bottom of the hill and turned left on the corner I saw the shine of the road just before my bike slid out from under me and I landed heavily on my left side and slid across the road with my bike pinning me down into the approaching traffic lane with the horrible noise of the tyres of an approaching truck braking and stopped just a few metres away from me.

It was not a nice experience, a couple of 6th form students waiting at a nearby bus-stop came to check if I was ok, apart from some bruising and sore muscles I was fine, bike was less fortunately and my left pedal had some nasty grind marks and my front mudguard got snapped in two.

It's a horrible experience crashing out on ice, I hope you feel better soon and you don't let the experience stop you enjoying your cycling :smile:

Top Bottom